what will this cause? (clogged airlock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
ok so I have never had this happen to me before. I brewed on Monday. checked the bucket a couple times until Weds or so. fermentation was steady but not crazy so I figured I didn't need a blow off tube. I looked inside my ferm chamber this morning to discover my airlock clogged and the lid bulging. I pulled airlock, cleaned, sanitized and put back on since it appears to be done fermenting. question I have is with a clogged airlock will that prevent fermentation from continuing? would it cause fermentation to end prematurely? I have never had this happen so I am wondering if anyone else out there had. if so what happened in your experience? I am hoping it fermented out just fine and it will be all good.

The yeast will still ferment if it is clogged. Think of an over-carbed bottle bomb! The gas leaked out through other crevices. Leave it alone for a week then check with hydrometer.

No need to worry. A bit of pressure will not stop the yeast from working. You were lucky the lid did not have a super tight seal. With a tight seal the lid and most of your beer would have relocated to various places high, low, and all the way around.
The yeasts way of saying they continue to work under pressure.

ok thanks! you guys both confirmed what I had already thought. Also, now that it has been a couple hours since I cleaned airlock. it is bubbling again. so all must be well!:D

Latest posts

Back