What went wrong..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d510addict

Reaction score
I have about 12 bombers of Apfelwein left that have been bottled for about a year now, and they taste off. Very tart, with a chemically after taste and extremely dry. I was wondering if anyone in the portland area could help me decipher what went wrong.

Chemically after taste? Like what? What was the recipe? Did you add campden/potassium sorbate/metabisulfite or any chemicals to it? How high did it ferment at?

The recipe I used was the same as eds, corn sugar and treetop. I used notty ale yeast and it fermented at around 60 but the temperatures varied. The only thing I can think of is that since I ran out of Idophur right before I went to sterilize my bottles I had to use bleach water to sterilize and some of that was picked up in the cider. I rinsed the bottles very well with very hot water but maybe it wasn't enough. Even then, I don't think bleach being picked up in the flavor is all of the problem.

Back