What was your biggest beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMan1029

Reaction score
Bottling my chocolate stout today , it's a 16.4 abv, got me wondering what everyone elses biggest beer has been and how they turned out. Not trying to start any kind of measuring contest here, and not saying bigger is better. Was just curious

Biggest I've done is the BYO 15th anniversary brew. Came in at 12%. Been aging a couple of months in the keezer and is sippable. Brandy snifter sorta deal, but good. 16.4% for a stout?...crimey!!!

Is that calculated ABV? That's damned high! Did you sugar feed it in primary?

I think mine is the wedding brew I'm doing now...calculated at about 11.5%. Might be more around 10%, I missed my gravity by a bit.

That is calculated ABV, I think I used about 2 lbs of lactose in it, wanted to balance the bitterness of the cocoa. I think total ingredient cost for a 5 gallon batch was around $100 so while it was cool to go huge once, it's not something I think I will be attempting again anytime soon

BMan1029 said:
That is calculated ABV, I think I used about 2 lbs of lactose in it, wanted to balance the bitterness of the cocoa. I think total ingredient cost for a 5 gallon batch was around $100 so while it was cool to go huge once, it's not something I think I will be attempting again anytime soon

Edit- that is actual abv.

I'm doing a Belgian Dark Strong today that should be 10-11 but my previous high was just over 9. I doubt I will ever go all the way to 16.

I made an "IPA" that came out to 17.3% once. I did the 120-style incremental-feeding thing with some success. Two or three extra "brew" days (or nights) boiling down extract to minimal volume for maximal gravity impact, plus increasingly tolerant yeast from US-05 to EC-1118 to WLP099. It was a very expensive and time consuming batch that I haven't done again, but it was awesome while it lasted.

Suddenly I'm thinking I should do this again SOON

I'm a wus - the Belgian that I have fermenting had a 1.070 OG - not bottled yet so I'm not sure of the ABV

Back