What was this used for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfox79

Reaction score
So a friend bought this for me in an auction and has no clue what it was used for. when I got it it was caked in either an adhesive or clay it took over a week to clean up with a dremmel. any guesses to what it once was? I was thinking a ceramic stock pot but am clueless. anyone see anything like this before? it's about 8-10 gallons in size im guessing. Thanks in advance

552555_397415826944508_100000282830524_1503953_554521699_pot.jpg

It washes clothes, the thing on top of it is used for cooking outdoors, not sure what the other thing is :)

Looks like Charcoal....

Exterior siding inside the house?

The top metal thing looks like a brew pot to me... Although everything that holds more than 5 gallons looks like a brew pot to me....

Haha! and yes the laundry room was an add on and it was done in a very gury rigged way. much work to do to fix that. charcoal correct BBQ seasion is Finnaly here:rockin: But the big metal pot with a spigot attached is whats bothering me as I don't know if its safe for brewing. I live in Marlbro country and worrie if this was used to make Fuel or worse

Does a magnet stick to it? If it was used to make fuel, then anything that could hurt you has probably been leached out. Realistically, if it isn't made of lead or low-grade iron (rusty spots = bad tasting beer), use it.

Failing the magnet test means it is probably aluminum or stainless steel. Both are fine for brewing.

Thanks David! I tried the magnet test and it would not stick to the center or the bottom but it stuck to the top. Any thoughts?

Looks like a huge soup tureen someone ghetto fabbed into a brew pot by welding a wider bottom with a valve on the bottom.

I think its dangerous, you need to send to me!!
Thats like two steps away from being a jacketed (?) liquid cooled fermenter!!

To me it kinds looks like an urn.. most of them are alloy these days, and I actually use one as a crab cooker, so it shouldn't be dangerous in the least. Or yeast. However you wanna put it.. I'd give it a thorough wash with an unscented bleach though, make sure its of a thingy quality.. somehow I think the word I was looking for there was the same word I would use to describe it.

Latest posts

Back