what type of yeast would you use for my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beanbagz1

Reaction score
ok, so this is the first recipe i have thrown together... still havent figured out which direction i should take the yeast... PLEASE give me some help on what you think might work well with what i have going on here. also, i have no idea how i might use lemongrass in this recipe.. anyone have any experience with that? i dont want it to come near taking over the flavor, but something on the back of your tongue that picks some of it up on the drink.

IMAG0214.jpg

I like your style dude. Love the whiteboard recipe.

If you're not too concerned about hitting the "belgian wit" style, a Kölsch yeast would be awesome. Works really well with wheat & low bitterness / late hop additions...more of a wheat pale. But a Belgian strain would be nice too. Grain bill looks great.

3oz at 1 min? I'd do some at 5 mins and increase the dry hop, but I'm not a huge fan of knockout additions. That's just me. I do love the Saaz dryhop...maybe add the 1min centennial to dryhop?

No idea about lemongrass.

thankyou brother. i like the idea, and a kolsch yeast would more than likely be delicious but i recently bottled a kolsch and would like to experiment with a new yeast. i like your flip on the hop addition, that is a good thing to think about!

are most ale yeast going to attenuate too much for a beer with this much wheat?

Belgian Abbey II 1762 65-75°F Slightly fruity with a dry finish.??

or??

Belgian Golden Ale WLP570. A combination of fruitiness and phenolic flavors.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. this is an entirely experimental beer. help me decide on something.....

<big>SO CRAZY IT JUST MIGHT WORK.....

ok, because i trust you guys.. i am going with WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast. i used wyeast 2565 for my kolsch batch, i really was just interested in trying something new. i do really appreciate you two for commenting. i will post a review with photos when i am through with this brew@!

I would hit it with S-33. It is a very mild yeast. Gives some esters but if fermented cool it will come out nice and clean with a slight clove like note to it. It also loves wheat :)

with these yeasts would i have to ferment alot colder? i usually have my room set up between 62F-68F.. would it work with the kolsch or belgian ale type yeasts? i am not familiar with what "achouffe" is.. care to enlighten me?

I would hit it with S-33. It is a very mild yeast. Gives some esters but if fermented cool it will come out nice and clean with a slight clove like note to it. It also loves wheat :)

i have never heard of s-33, i will do some research! i have never been so excited to do homework in my life!

with these yeasts would i have to ferment alot colder? i usually have my room set up between 62F-68F.. would it work with the kolsch or belgian ale type yeasts? i am not familiar with what "achouffe" is.. care to enlighten me?

Nope. Kolsch yeast warmer is awesome for a wheat pale, gives off some nice light-fruit esters, think like a dry white wine. Very nice.

The Belgian strains go to sleep below that range, so 62-68 is great.

Achouffe

Nope. Kolsch yeast warmer is awesome for a wheat pale, gives off some nice light-fruit esters, think like a dry white wine. Very nice.

The Belgian strains go to sleep below that range, so 62-68 is great.

Achouffe

Thank-you for walking me through these steps! i feel good about this recipe, i need to figure out which yeast it will be. truly. i LIKE your style as well. give me the absolute personal opinion on which i should choose.

Man, this recipe looks awesome!!!!

I bet it would be killer with a Saison yeast. Wyeast 3724 or WLP565 brewed at warm temps, mid 80s to 90. I'm curious how the lemon grass would taste with the spicy complexity of the yeast.

I didn't see what part of the country you are in but the weather down here in the south is almost warm enough to throw a Saison up in the attic.

Man, this recipe looks awesome!!!!

I bet it would be killer with a Saison yeast. Wyeast 3724 or WLP565 brewed at warm temps, mid 80s to 90. I'm curious how the lemon grass would taste with the spicy complexity of the yeast.

I didn't see what part of the country you are in but the weather down here in the south is almost warm enough to throw a Saison up in the attic.

i would be tempted to try that, but i cannot get my room warm enough to do a saison. thankyou for the input brother! appreciate the compliment!

went with the WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast. hoping for a great result :) will post and update when it starts showing me something.

Back