What type of yeast should I use with this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcox85

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to make a 5 gallon batch of what will eventually be a raspberry ale (making it for my girlfriend) and I've made a 1 gallon batch of this before, turned out great but the overall body of the beer was a bit too dark in colour when I used wheat dme and amber lme, so I've chosen to go with this:

3 lbs Bavarian Wheat DME
3 lbs Pilsen DME

1 oz Willamette @60
1 oz Willamette @5

So the question is should I use my smack pack of wyeast 1056 or should I use a proper wheat beer yeast? Just trying to prevent ordering another packet of yeast, unfortunately where I live I have no lhbs :(
Any tips and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

If you want it to be a neutral American style wheat then use your 1056. If you want a German style hefeweizen with the banana and clove flavors then you need to get that kind of yeast. Not sure you want that if adding raspberry though.

This is my first time using 1056 as well, usually I'd just use US-05 or 04 with my ales, the last time I did the raspberry I used Danstar Munich Wheat Beer Yeast...thanks though I am going to try the 1056 with this beer, in about a month I'll know how it turned out haha

I've used 1010 exclusively for wheats - whether they were honey wheat or raspberry wheats - and have always enjoyed those beers. That being said, I'm sure 05 or 1056 would be fine too.

Back