What tool or brush you use for cleaning bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
I have been using brushes which have always 3 problems and I wanted to know if you have the same problems and you live with it or if you use any other method to clean up your bottles?

My 3 problems are annoying because after 50 bottles it looks like I should change my brush already:

1st problem: hair of brush fall off quickly.
2nd problem: the handle breaks and folds very quickly after cleaning few bottles
3rd problem: for some reason there is a silver coloring the mouths of my bottles from the handle frictions with the glass. And it is not easily removed like with the finger or so? What material is that silver color which sticks onto the glass?

Although i dont clean bottles frequently this worked well for me.

Bunch of people complaining on there but i had no problems with it. Just need to have the felt pieces wet before inserting into bottle and i also hold the pieces together and push them in a little bit with my fingers rather than trying to just force it in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056KQ07Q/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a bottle brush and have never used it. When I first get them, they get a PBW soak to get the label off, anywhere from a day to a week depending on when I get to them. From there it's just a water rinse as soon as the bottles are poured. I put about an inch of water in and shake. Do this about 4 or 5 times each bottle. Then into my FastRack to dry. Bottling day they get a Starsan soak. The key is to rinse the bottle as soon as you pour the beer, don't let anything dry inside. I'm sure some of my bottles have been refilled 10x or more and never had an issue.

I use the standard bottle brush after the bottles have soaked in a PBW solution.
http://www.northernbrewer.com/beer-bottle-brush
I straightened the handle to use in a battery powered electric drill when I had a lot of old bottles to clean. Now I rinse the bottles after the pour and let them dry upside down in a rack to eliminate dried crud. Ready to sanitize on bottling day.

I don't use a brush. They get rinsed immediately after pouring. Then a PBW soak, once I have enough bottles for a batch.
Rinse and star san before bottling.
There are plenty of bottles available. If cleaning requires a brush, I pass on the bottle.

I have the bottle brush from Northern Brewer, the one from Morebeer looks like the same thing. The bristles are heavy nylon. I have never seen any bristles break off. The handle is strong. I have never seen anything from the brush on the bottles.

Soak in Oxyclean or PBW, a quick brush out and done.

It sounds like the OP needs a different brush.

I'm still using the same brush that came with my brew kit. No issues with it. The bristles on my dip tube brush is a different story, so that one will be replaced.

Latest posts

Back