what to use to hold down orange peel in a glass carboy???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbeer

Reaction score
Hello my fellow beer enthusiasts!!! I haven had a chance to brew for a while therefor I haven't had to post anything for a while!

It is time to brew again so I have a question for all you guys who know there stuff!!

The last time I brewed I put 1 oz of sweet orange peel into my glass carboy in a small mesh pouch. The pouch ended up floating on top of my beer and I don't think I utilized the orange peel fully as most of it was above the wort floating in the pouch!
I want to add the orange peel to the carboy again for my next pouch and was wondering how I could weigh down the pouch so it stays under the wort so all the peel is fully utilized!! I am thinking about adding some stainless steel bolts to the bag, they should be easy to get through the carboy neck and they should be heavy enough to keep the bag from floating up again!

They are clean, not used at all, and I will sanitize them before I use them!! Does anybody think there should be a problem with this idea???? Do you think the bolts will affect the beer at all?? maybe a metallic taste?? I do not know!!
Please let me know your thoughts asap before I make a huge mistake and ruin my batch!!!

Thanks again in advance for all your help!!!

Mike
BADBEER

I went to a craft store and bought glass marbles. I used about 6 to hold down a grain bag full of toasted coconut. Needless to say, the bag sunk at first and is now floating and next time I'll have to use more, but it does work.

I thought about SS nuts but I was worried about some weirdness with the metals.

I use stainless steel nuts to weight my dry hop bags. I've not noticed any metallic off flavors. They clean up easily afterwards and I boil them in their mesh bags before using.

Zinc or galvanized hardware would likely be a problem.

Latest posts

Back