what to prime with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medic7041

Reaction score
I brewed a belgian ale that has been in secondary for just over 3 weeks which i did a secondary yeast addition when i added the belgian candi sugar it has had a secondary gravity of 1.020 from a og of 1.070 which i really dont like too much but i'll work with it . It tasted good when i took the gravity reading going into secondary but just wanted some insite on either dme or regular priming sugar for bottling thanks for the help.

Corn sugar will be the quickest. DME will take longer but some say smaller CO2 bubbles are produced compared to Corn sugar. You can also use brown sugar, honey, molasses, sugar in the raw, or even regular sucrose if you're in a pinch. Keep in mind all of these will give a slightly different finishing flavor to your brew. I've just been using corn sugar myself, haven't gotten brave enough to venture away from that yet.

my.02 , dont use molasses ,i used a mix of corn sugar and DME, some say you dont even need to prime..but the wait is longer, but i spose you'll want to wait long anyhow so the booze kinda mellows.mine was 1.090 og and is 1.022 now, so using the DME will help the flavor a little. joe ( not an expert)

Back