What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So here it is summer solstice time and my plant has gone crazy this year. I have 3 yr old cascade in pots and grow them horizontally along the spindles of my deck, put in little eye bolts with twine so they grow along the twine, but this year prob due to both the hotter early weather and rain they’ve grown more than my last two yrs literally growing past the end of the rope. So each rope is prob 14-16’ long alongside my deck, so do I clip the tip of the bine to promote sidearm growth which is also crazy I have some sidearms that are prob 3’ long or longer and huge leaves on em and I hardly watered or fed the plants like I usually do, or what’s my other options I guess. I’ve never had them grow this much so it’s new territory for me and last yr with them being shorter I still got a couple lbs of hops of of em. I’d send pics but it’s late so maybe Tomm morning I’ll post some pics so you can see what I’m talkin about.

So here it is summer solstice time and my plant has gone crazy this year. I have 3 yr old cascade in pots and grow them horizontally along the spindles of my deck, put in little eye bolts with twine so they grow along the twine, but this year prob due to both the hotter early weather and rain they’ve grown more than my last two yrs literally growing past the end of the rope. So each rope is prob 14-16’ long alongside my deck, so do I clip the tip of the bine to promote sidearm growth which is also crazy I have some sidearms that are prob 3’ long or longer and huge leaves on em and I hardly watered or fed the plants like I usually do, or what’s my other options I guess. I’ve never had them grow this much so it’s new territory for me and last yr with them being shorter I still got a couple lbs of hops of of em. I’d send pics but it’s late so maybe Tomm morning I’ll post some pics so you can see what I’m talkin about.
I understand what you mean by crazy sidearms. They have stretched out and now are winding between the boards of my fence or down to the ground. If I did not know better i would think they are new bines

Back