What to do

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmj1980

Reaction score
Here is my problem I have a few neighbor who found out that I home brew and basically they are consuming at a rate that I can't keep up with or want to keep up with I am not opposed to sharing but not three times a week me my self have a beer or two a night or every other night and beer last quite some time I feel like they don't appreciate the beer they just drink to drink how to get rid of them I know I'm not the only one who has had this problem thanks in advance

Have them help you brew next batch. They may learn that the beer isn't free or start making their own.

Imagine if they start getting into the high grav beers or meads that you patiently wait for for months or years and then guzzle it down like its nothing ...

Maybe tell them that you're happy to share occasionally (emphasis on the occasionally) as long as its a two-way street. They bring you some good craft brews and you pour them a pint of your good beer - if they want to hang out and drink beer, they better not show up empty handed.

Word of advice, when seeking advice on a public forum, please use some sort of punctuation.

Some.

Trying to read sixteen sentences and two paragraphs that have all been lumped into one long diatribe is just ridiculous.

I'd teach them how to brew and be honest with them. It takes time and money to brew beer and it would be great if they learned and started brewing, that way you guys could trade beers. Otherwise they need to bring over beer as well. Time and supplies are not free. I think that they would understand that. If they don't, tell em to piss off.

I would just talk to them. You do not need to be rude about it, just explain that you can only legally brew 100-200 gallons of beer a year, ingredients are not free and that they need to start donating to the "donations jar" or start coming over with craft beers they bought or brewed to share. If this doesn't work...

Then I would start keeping a 6er or a 40oz. of the cheapest beer I could buy around. When they ask for beer pour them one of those, preferably in front of them so they fully understand where you are at. If this doesn't work...

Time to build a fence and tell them to keep on their side of it!

give em a shopping list from a homebrew supply. Ask them to buy a batch and you'll make it and split it with them. Or maybe they need to get hooked on brewing themselves.

Honesty goes a long way. Obviously you could just tell them to F off (we'll call this plan B), but it might be better (and be less awkward in the future) to just have a matter of fact conversation with them where you tell them your issue and maybe suggest a diplomatic solution that makes sense to you. Likely they'll understand and if they don't, well then you can always choose to go with plan B. :)

Back