what to do with Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homoeccentricus

Reaction score
On a whim I bought some Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt. I'm saying whim here because I have absolutely no intention of brewing a lager. Any suggestions what to do with this malt?

Ah maybe I do want to brew a funky saison with a mixture of saison yeast and Brett clausenii as is described in American Sour Beers.

Congrats on living in one of the greatest spots for beer tourism there is!
Drink some De la Sen for me!

Speaking of American Sours, don't underestimate what you can do with that malt and some creativity.
Brewers in the US have made the traditional Belgian styles into something of their own.
You can certainly do the same!

No.
Just saying the beers of your country are uniquely suited for creativity. Definitely something you can make your own.
I think that is the driving force behind the Belgian and sour explosion in the US.

How about an English summer ale

Crouch vale Brewers gold I believe uses 100% pilsner malt and is well thought of

http://www.crouchvale.co.uk/?page_id=24
based in Essex so almost Belgium

Heres the recipe I used last summer came out very well

8 lbs Pilsner (Weyermann) (1.7 SRM) 100.0 %
63.79 g First Gold [7.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 33.6 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins)
1.0 pkg West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)

OG 1.041, FG 1.004
IBU 33
Mash 151 F 60 mins
Boil 90 mins

Yeah you can use it for anything really, just be sure to boil for 90mins as that is recommended for pils malt.

summer/golden ales, bitters, strong ales/barley wines. will be fine in all of them

Second the Kolsch. My favorite beer with pilsner base (Duvel style BGS is a close second). Ferment WY 2565 at 58 and lager for 3 weeks after its finished. So tasty.

Thanks for the suggestions, folk. It's going to be a German-French-Belgian-American "collaboration" brew: Experimental Homebrewing's Citra Saison with floor-malted pils from Weyermann and WYeast French saison!

Latest posts

Back