What to do with overly large Zucchini?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Went to Chicago for a long weekend and neglecte to tell my daughter to water the garden and pick fruit. As a consequence, we have several very large Zucchini. Probably got large seeds inside them.

Any ideas on how I can use them deliciously? The best idea I got is to cut in half lengthwise, scoop the center and make Zucchini bowls out of them. Stuff them with meats, cheeses, etc.

Zucchini bowls sound great!

The flesh is usually fine for any purpose, I like cutting them into spears and grilling them. You could cut/scrape out the centers if the large seeds bother you, and bake zucchini bread out of the scraped out pulp.

Large overly-woody zucchinis work well for zucchini breads and zucchini cake. You grate them up really fine, so the texture's not as important.

Also, if you scoop out the seeds and spear them, they're nice battered and deep fried as zucchini fries.

We had a rather large one ourselves and my wife made zucchini bread. It was wonderful. If you're interested I will get the recipe and send along. All I know is she used way more than most recipes call for and added walnuts and cranberries infused with cherry juice (Crasin brand, I believe).

I suppose my answer of burning them, burying the ashes deep and finally posting a hazardous materials placard isn't what you had in mind, huh?

Most zucchini bread recipes use 2 cups of shredded zuke. This one uses 3:

Zucchini Snack Cake

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice

3 cups grated zucchini
1 cup oil
4 eggs

Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the eggs, oil, and zucchini and beat well.
Pour into greased 9x13 pan and bake in 325° oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.

Make crab cakes! Without crab, of course.

You can dispose of the seeds, and make them. They are really good, especially with that ketchup/lemon juice/horseradish cocktail sauce.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13938/connies-zucchini-crab-cakes/

I've done them quite a few times in the past and everybody loved it.

I don't buy Old Bay, as I have a ton of seasonings on hand so I mix up my own seasoning: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/homemade-old-bay-seasoning-recipe-52622321 (mine is most similar to the first one)

Zucchini Beer. I would just do it like a pumpkin beer. Roast the zucchini and smash it. Add that to the heating mash water and continue mash as normal. Dependent on if the zucchini still has good flavor. Otherwise zucchini bread is good.

I made stuffed zucchini last night, which was delicious. Took a ~14" zucchini, cut lengthwise and scooped out the insides. Took the inside bits and chopped them up, mixed with 3/4 lb italian sausage, an egg, 1/2c parm cheese, 1/4c italian breadcrumbs and some minced garlic. Probably also would have been good with some chopped onion and grated carrots. Stuff the zucchini shells, bake for 45min at 350, cover with pasta sauce and mozz cheese and bake for another 10 min, serve over quinoa. Made for a tasty throw-together dinner with good leftovers for lunch.

I picked a 3lb zucchini from my garden this year and made a really good casserole with it. Just removed most of seeds and went about it as normal. Tasted great

This is really good - gets rave reviews when I serve it!

Zucchini Pepperjack Casserole

1 pound zucchini, cubed in 1/4" pieces
2 strips cooked bacon, cut into small pieces
8 oz. grated pepperjack
2 green onions, sliced, white & green
1 small can (3 or 4 oz.) diced mild chiles (Ortega)
1 tsp. crushed dried oregano
2 tablespoons Bisquick
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground ancho or other mild chile pepper

Toss all these ingredients together in an 8" round casserole.

Mix together:

1/4 cup half & half
2 eggs
1/8 tsp. Tabasco

Pour over ingredients in casserole, stir well, then sprinkle top evenly with the following, mixed together:

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter

Bake at 350* about 45 minutes or til just browning and bubbling around the edges. Let cool slightly before serving.

Makes 6 hearty servings or up to 10 side servings

I made zucchini pickles once and they were way too soft. The flavor was good but I couldn't get past the texture. I should try it again now that I know a little about calcium chloride and pickling lime.

You could give them to your wife to grate and then fill the freezer with them so theres no room for your hops, even though you have fresh zucchini coming out your ears and you know you'll never ever use the frozen stuff. After three months throw them away.

Yeah, you could do that.

You could also make some zucchini parmesan fritters for the BBQ. These are always a hit.
https://www.mygourmetconnection.com/recipes/zucchini-parmesan-fritters.php

I was able to give a bit away. Unfortunately, I forgot to give it to one person who lives a few hours away and we wont' see them for 2 weeks. My wife isn't as adventurous in the kitchen (at least for cooking) so not much has happened with it since last post. She made a stir fry with polish sausage last night.

Big zucchini/courgettes are called marrows in the UK, and treated as a different vegetable, including in Indian cooking. Googling "marrow recipes" should help with some ideas.

You can hollow them out and stuff and bake them.

Well, I was busy on the roof all night, so my wife cooked again. She made Zucchini boats with Italian Sausage, Cheese, etc. It was really good!

I applaud her for stepping out of her comfort zone and trying something new. She's usually hesitant to make new things, relying on a few proven recipes.

I think she made about twice what we could eat, though. Hopefully it will reheat ok.

Latest was cream soup with polish sausage, zucchini, yellow squash, corn. It was really good. And we picked a bunch more large zucchinis last night. I will probalby have to give a few away again.

Well, there's this...
attachment.php

Pkrd...
Pretty looking Kitty you have there.
Had a Siamese once but found it way to high strung for me..
After he passed went with Manx cats mostly.

Our Siamese is no more high strung that most cats I've had. Then again, she won't hunt zucchini with me either.

This is right after we brought her home from the SPCA, freshly spayed.

pauli comfy.jpg

Grilled zucchini last night. Apparently they can get much bigger than I thought before the seeds are problematic.

I also grated some up and baked zucchini brownies. I made them too thick and didn't cook long enough. I ended up having to scoop the gooey mess onto plates and microwaving a minute and a half to finish them up. Still tasted pretty good.

Went to Chicago for a long weekend and neglecte to tell my daughter to water the garden and pick fruit. As a consequence, we have several very large Zucchini. Probably got large seeds inside them.

Any ideas on how I can use them deliciously? The best idea I got is to cut in half lengthwise, scoop the center and make Zucchini bowls out of them. Stuff them with meats, cheeses, etc.

Err sorry, my thoughts just went to the gutter... But, the zucchini bowls do sound like a good way to eat them. Saw a recipie for chocolate zucchini bread online if that sounds good.

Wifey makes a really good zucchini stew. We use it on the big ones that get the hard skin syndrome. She literally just made a batch yesterday. Tomato based with corn, onion, ground beef, banana peppers.

Latest posts

Back