What to do with new/unused oak barrel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Reaction score
I'm delighted to have just been gifted a 10 litre oak barrel. It's brand new, no previous contents, lightly toasted and believed to be made of Hungarian oak.

I think it's an ideal size for doing small test batches but I am completely new to oak aging so thought I'd turn to the forum for ideas and to draw on the experiences of others.

My initial idea was to brew up a strong belgian or doppelbock type beer, potentially give it the eisbock treatment (freeze fractioning), then aging it in the barrel until a nice/notable oak flavour has been imparted.

Although i'm primarily thinking of trying this on a dark beer, i'm also intrigued by the idea of using a belgian strong golden ale at maybe 12% abv.

Any thoughts / ideas / experience you'd like to share?

i would do any beer you would like to impart an oak flavor to. My suggestion is anything over 8% for storability.

a 12% Belgian would be nice, the oak should tame out the boozyness.

if it's new oak, make twice what will fill the barrel. that way you can blend some non oaked in with the barrel. a brand new barrel will need a few uses before you can do extensive aging in.

Make an Arrogant Bastard clone at first, then a big ol' RIS after that... oh my... I think I know what I want for Christmas!

Brew up a barley wine. I agree on having extra because the barrel will absorb some as well as let some evaporate. You could also do a Roeselare and remove half and add fresh wort after 4/6/12 months.

Yeah i'm liking the idea of a belgian quad. Interesting points made about adding more beer throughout the aging process. I had heard that a new barrel will impart flavour a lot quicker so figured I would need to draw samples often to judge it. In doing so, would that introduce unwanted oxygen? If so, will adding more beer help with this?

Also, I had been intrigued by the idea of blending the output with other beers. Will update this thread with any results in the new year.

I want to do this on my barrel, but I'm afraid to hammer one in or drill a pilot hole. What's the best approach?

It's really not a big deal, even if the barrel is already full. I put one in a few weeks ago on a full barrel. If it's full, just be ready with a glass to catch a sample when you drill it, grab the nail and push it in. If it's empty, drill away.

10 liters is tiny. I think you'll need to be moving beer in and out quickly to avoid over oaking, especially the first several batches. Reserving some none oaked beer for blending is good advice.

10 liters is tiny. I think you'll need to be moving beer in and out quickly to avoid over oaking, especially the first several batches. Reserving some none oaked beer for blending is good advice.

How quick are we talking?

Also, in terms of a vinnie nail, the barrel already has a tap installed were a nail would go. Assume this will have the same effect?

I'm all for the following (all of which I've let age in my 20-liter medium-toast oak barrel):

Saison (two varieties)
Belgian Quad with Cherries
American Barleywine
RIS
Red Rye Ale

How quick are we talking?

Also, in terms of a vinnie nail, the barrel already has a tap installed were a nail would go. Assume this will have the same effect?

You'll need to taste to be sure but if it was me I would prepare for the first beer to be in there no longer than a week.

I'm all for the following (all of which I've let age in my 20-liter medium-toast oak barrel):

Saison (two varieties)
Belgian Quad with Cherries
American Barleywine
RIS
Red Rye Ale

Loving the sound of the quad with cherries. Did you age on cherries then the oak or vica versa?

Also, with your Saison's, were they light varieties and if so how did they stand up to the oak?

Loving the sound of the quad with cherries. Did you age on cherries then the oak or vica versa?

Also, with your Saison's, were they light varieties and if so how did they stand up to the oak?

I added cherries to the Quad before I racked it into the barrel. Both of my Saisons were the same recipe - one had bugs (after oak) and the other did not.

Back