What to do with botched bulk grain order?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonbreath11

Reaction score
I ordered some grain from the CHI Company and someone botched the order and sent 21lbs of grain all in one sack instead of separating it.

3 x Crystal 60 (GW Crystal 60 - 1 Lb.)
2 x Carapils (Briess Carapils - 1 Lb.)
3 x Victory (Briess Victory - 1 Lb.)
3 x Roasted Barley - 1Lb. (Crisp - Roasted Barley - 1lb.) $5.27
3 x Crystal 30 (GW Crystal 30 - 1 Lb.) $3.99
3 x Crystal 75 (GW Crystal 75 - 1 Lb.) $3.99
3 x Crystal 120 (GW Crystal 120 - 1 Lb.) $3.99

Now I have 21lbs. of mixed grain. Don't see how I can make a good beer with these ingredients...

Credit to the guys at CHI company though. They are resending the grain separately as soon as I let them know. Any ideas of what I can do?

3 lbs of roasted barley and a S&$load of crystal...add it to your compost pile or feed it to chickens ( Barleywine Eggs?)

Treat it like a really advanced jigsaw puzzle. Get some tweezers and go to town on separating the grains.

Suppose I split the sack into thirds? and use 1/3 and a base malt to make Imperial Stout? This is the recipe I came up with assuming all grains will be distributed equally. I know I'm all over the place with the hops but I kind of want to clear my inventory.

Botched%252520Stout.JPG

Botched%252520stout%252520stats.JPG

You think this would make a fine Imperial Stout? Critiques welcome.

Yes you're right I'll try splitting it in 8. You think it's worth trying though? As you know brewing is a lot of fun but also a lot of work I don't want to make a dumper. It'd be a shame to throw good grain out.

Back