What to do with 6 Cups of Cherries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toorudez

Reaction score
A friend of mine gave me 6 cups of frozen cherries he picked from his back yard. I thought what better way to use them then make a wine. What / how would I go about using these to make a tasty beverage? Thanks

Soak in vodka and sugar and make a cherry vishnoofka? (Spelling is probably wrong)

Or I would smash up the berries, add some sugar and yeast and water and let it sit. I bet it would make a great wine!

I believe I've sold myself on a Viking Blood Mead. Never made one before so why wouldn't I?

Recipe?? I may have access to some fresh cherries locally grown this summer. Sounds interesting.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on this site for ages. I made the mead that same weekend and it's been sitting in a 3 gallon carboy for the last 6 weeks. I figure I'll let it sit and age for a few months as that appears to be the norm for meads. Here's the recipe I used:

2 Gallons filtered water
3 kg of clover honey
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg Lalvin EC-1118

Boiled it for about 10 minutes. Cooled it to about 24C, poured it into a carboy and pitched the yeast. I let that ferment for 2 weeks, then racked it onto the 6 cups of cherries. I let that ferment for 2 weeks, then transferred it to a third carboy. It's been sitting in the dark since then. When I did the final transfer, I had a bit of a taste and it was pretty good. The cherry flavour was very pronounced. The mead is perfectly clear right now and has a beautiful red colour to it. Can't wait to drink it!

I'd give 'em to my wife....they might last a day - she's a fruitaholic, epsecially red/dark fruits...cherries, raspberries, blackberrries, blueberries....at least blackberries grow wild on our back fence ;)

Back