What to do with 3 lbs of special B?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmarshall

Reaction score
I have an awesome brother. He doesn't brew, but before coming for a visit, he went to his LHBS and bought some stuff for me that they don't have in my town. One thing I asked for was 6 oz or so of Special B, which my LHBS doesn't stock. He came with 3 lbs of the stuff, crushed. Anyway, was very thoughtful of him, but I have no idea what to do with all that Special B. I wasn't even planning on using it for a month or so, but since it is crushed I need to use it sooner rather than later. Obvious choice is a dubbel, and I have some cultures from orval bottles that I have waiting for a slightly darker version of Orval, but was planning on color mainly with candi syrup. My next planned brew is a high adjunct america farmhouse beer, and special B isn't really appropriate. Anyway, two real questions:

1. What is the limit for using special B before it gets overbearing?
2. Anyone in the Cville, VA area want to pick up a pound or so of the stuff for free?

Arrogant Bastard = 90% two row + 10% special B + lots of chinook.

Brew up a 10 gallon batch of the good stuff!

I've used >1lb of it in a RIS without it being overbearing.

I second the Arrogant Bastard idea, but make sure you like it first, it's an in your face kinda beer.

Hmm, you all bring up some interesting options. RIS or other stout is interesting. The other problem I should mention is that I had planned on brewing two other things before this, probably this weekend. May be at least 2 weeks before I can brew using the special B. Looks like I need to find some large sealable containers and make room in my freezer. Next time I'll specify non-crushed.

Back