What to do...Rig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdog_47

Reaction score
So the SWMBO gave me the green light on finally going with my brew rig. Current equipment I have.

1 Keg converted for boil
1 keg ready to cut and converted
1 10 gallon Igloo style MLT with stainless steel false bottom.
1 5 gallon igloo MLT with false bottom
2 burners
1 immersion chiller
1 counter flow chiller

Here is the big issue. My garage is only 89.5 inches from floor to ceiling. Since, I want to be able to brew in the winter this would make the perfectly measured 3 tier gravity setup 10 inches from my ceiling with the keg on top.

I been going back and forth between either a single tier setup or two tier setup.

I currently don't have a preference between using two or one march pumps but the little savings from buying would be nice.

I thought about a middle section raised for the MLT with both kegs lower and gravity into the boil and pump from HLT.

What you guys build?

My personal favorite is a two tier, with the BK lowered, and one pump.
You can fly sparge, and push through a CFC/plate. It's best of both worlds.

If you are not against having two pumps, I would go ahead and do a single tier. It is really nice having every thing on one level

I mulled it over for about half a year when I was getting ready to pull the trigger on making mine. I originally was going to go with a three tier for the gravity feed by after giving it some serious thought I ended up going with a single tier because I wanted to limit any lifting or moving of anything during brewing. Like you I started with one converted keg with coolers and knew I wanted to get to the point of doing 10 gal batches which I couldn't do with my then cooler set up so I knew I would expand at some point. If you think you will be getting rid of the coolers in the future I would go with a single tier and add the third burner, you can get burners cheap so that's not a big cost to add and changing mash temps will be much easier down the road. I have my HLT and MT temp controlled, changing mash or HLT temps is as simple as adjusting the PID. I thought about cost prior to building mine and ran one pump for about eight months before I picked up the second one, more hose changes but was workable (I was/am batch spargeing). Good luck in your decision, either way you go consider upgrades/expansion in the future and you will be more than pleased.

i have three tier system, but i have a come a long attached to the roof so i can raise my boil kettle to the second tier to fill carboys... just a thought

Latest posts

Back