What to do??? HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
ok most of my 2nd year hops are sprouting nicely 4-5 shoots (nice!).

But one is just nuts! 21 shoots in a 8" dia. circle. EEEEK!

3-4" tall already and I don't know what to do. Ok 3-5 bines on one sturdy rope might be fine, but 20+ is just no way!

How do you determine what bines to cut back? do you wait until they are how tall??? Only pick the "Very" best when they are long enough to train on the rope?

Help! :eek:

I live in your area and mine are already sprouting also. I would wait until they get about a good six inches or so and then decide which ones to cut back. I had 3 bines last year on my 2nd year and they did fine. I just found the rhizome on my 3rd year Willamette and it is about 3/4 in dia. Let them grow, just remember to cover them if we get a hard freeze.

Our troubles are they are coming up WWWAAAYYYYY too quick. They usually do not start until mid April. Either they are going to be big plants or just keeping fingers crossed for a large yield.

Corey, we have had 3 hard freezes since they first started popping up. 25-26 deg and ice everywhere, yet they keep coming!

How soon to trim back? Hate to waste root energy on bines that are going to get cut back....

60's on Sat.. these things are going to grow an inch in that day alone!

I only have one year under my belt. I see where you're going with this. Well I hope you have a huge yield and your forced to mail me your surplus. Keep us posted, I've still got a lot to learn!

I would start off on thinning your big plant back by at least half. That way they will send more energy up to what is left. You can always thin more later. Try and look for the thicker of the bines to keep them around.

Cut out a most of the biggest ones that are still white and supple. Throw them in a pan with some butter or steam them like asparagus. Enjoy a gourmet meal while the other one continue to grow.

Saute them??? Realy???

So I should cut back to 10 or so... Then thin more later...

I'll have to get the clippers out and get the thinner white ones cut when I get home this afternoon.

I take it I should do the same with any other plant if they get to 10 or more shoots too right? Cut back 1/2 and let the roots supply the remaining with more energy...

2nd year here and never thought it would be quite like this. The first year it was all they could do to put out 3-4 bines... I didn't expect anything like this.

Saute them??? Realy???

So I should cut back to 10 or so... Then thin more later...

I'll have to get the clippers out and get the thinner white ones cut when I get home this afternoon.

I take it I should do the same with any other plant if they get to 10 or more shoots too right? Cut back 1/2 and let the roots supply the remaining with more energy...

2nd year here and never thought it would be quite like this. The first year it was all they could do to put out 3-4 bines... I didn't expect anything like this.

I train 2-3 bines ont each rope (I have 2 lines per mound). That leaves me 6-10 bines after trimming and then I thin back once I have a good 2-3 strong looking bines trained and growing well.

You don't want to try to grow 20 bines up a rope. They will not only be competing for soil/nutrient, but also sunlight since they will be sharing the same rope. This will actually hurt your yield.

Lots of shoots is fine, it just means you have a nice healthy root system. Just keep your eyes peeled for the shoots coming up 2-5 feet away from the main mound!

Ok. I'll have to look for the shoots 3-4 feet away.... EEEK!

As for bugs and mold??? Didn't have any issues last year that caused any problems... Fingers crossed same goes this year!

As for bugs and mold??? Didn't have any issues last year that caused any problems... Fingers crossed same goes this year!

My local Ag Extension out of Rutgers says:
"Insects/Diseases
Spider mites, leaf hoppers, aphids, Japanese beetles,
European corn borer, and hop merchant are pests that
have been encountered in New Jersey. Diseases to
which hops are susceptible, include: downy mildew,
powdery mildew, and verticillium wilt. Selection of a
disease resistant variety is the first defense against
disease. Check the catalog from the hops nursery to
determine varietal resistance."

Which is a mouthful.

Aurora IL, I have sprouts! Mt. Hood, Sterling, and Chinook. So far I see nothing on my Cascade, but the season is young. Grow my little friends, grow!

Back