What to buy next for an upgrade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nhindian

Reaction score
Hey all, I am currently brewing 5 gallon batches and moved on to all grain about 4 batches ago. I have the ingredients for two more batches but just waiting on some fermentation space.

In this lull I was thinking about how to upgrade from here. The end goal is eventually to go all electric, but that may not be in the cards for now. At the least, I hope to move to 10 gallon batches, regardless of fuel source.

My current setup is:
8 gallon boil kettle
70 quart Coleman Extreme
Dark Star burner
Homemade copper immersion chiller

I have some spare cash now that I'd like to use to upgrade my current gear or expand to new toys. I do want whatever I get to be transferrable to electric in the chance that I do move there

Here's what I had in mind so far:
1. Plate / Counterflow chiller (what's better? Homemade or buy? What brands?)
2. Diffusion stone (mainly so I can start whirlpooling in kettle)
3. Some kind of brew stand
4. A larger kettle. I was thinking keggle but its been hard going trying to find a keg.
5. Some pumps.

Thoughts?

I would look at fermentation temperature control and making yeast starters if you use liquid yeast. If you are not already doing this, I would put them ahead of anything on your list.

Then I would put your list in this order. 4,3,2,1, and 5 only if you go with a single tier stand.

A counterflow chiller can be DIY, but a plate chiller is beyond most peoples DIY abilities.

+1 kh54s10

I think purchasing/building a fermentation chamber is what I would do with extra money for a upgrade (if I didn't have one already).

I skipped the fermentation chamber and instead opted for a kegerator the last time I upgraded. Should have got the fermentation chamber first.

A kettle upgrade would be #2 on the list followed by parts needed to whirlpool.

Oh I should have mentioned I do have a spare fridge I use as a ferm chamber and do have a stir plate with a 2L flask! Thanks!

And I do want to keg (I've bottled the past 3 weekends straight and it's getting old..) But I am brewing for my wedding next year, so I have to bring bottles. I'd like to use the money for something that would help toward that end first, but the keg/keezer project will soon follow!

Every married man will tell you to get the toys you want BEFORE you get married.

Build your 7 tap keezer. Get 10-20 kegs. Go friggin' bananas!!! Build the Corvette of keezers and spare no expense!!!

Don't look back one day and say "I should have listened to that drunk guy's ramblings on the internet."

Carpe Diem!!!

Every married man will tell you to get the toys you want BEFORE you get married.

Build your 7 tap keezer. Get 10-20 kegs. Go friggin' bananas!!! Build the Corvette of keezers and spare no expense!!!

Don't look back one day and say "I should have listened to that drunk guy's ramblings on the internet."

Carpe Diem!!!

Spoken like a man that's been married for a long while.:D

Fermentation chamber!! Perlick taps have no use without happy yeast.:)

Oh and speaking of fermentation chambers, I do have an STC controlling my fridge, but I don't have a way to heat yet, just cool. I've read those thermal wraps aren't approved / recommended for glass carboys, is that bunk?

I guess its not a big deal considering it's turning hot in my area of the woods, but its still something I noticed when I was brewing this early spring.

Thermal wraps work very well on glass carboys if you use a thermowell.

I vote kegs on the upgrade.

Carpe Diem!!!

LOL, that is true. But, as a guy >50, I can tell you it does get better. I have one daughter in grad school and the other starting University and it is all covered thanks to some wise investing and scholarships. Also, at my age, I am also making enough money to do about what ever I want and my wife never complains now. Today, she even told me to go out and buy two stand up paddleboards. Go figure :mug:

While I'd love to spring for a keg / keezer setup, I'd like to use this cash to make bottling my beers for the wedding easier / more efficient.

I ended up buying a Chugger pump and a 0.5 aeration stone setup from Midwest because of their 10% off sale.

Now what...

While I'd love to spring for a keg / keezer setup, I'd like to use this cash to make bottling my beers for the wedding easier / more efficient.

I ended up buying a Chugger pump and a 0.5 aeration stone setup from Midwest because of their 10% off sale.

Now what...

Buy a bench capper if you want to make bottling easier... or just order a pizza and lure your friends to help.

Back