What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat.sam

Reaction score
I have some leftover hops and steeping grains that I would like to use tomorrow.

Here's what I have:

oz. of cascade and columbus hops.
1/2 oz of hallertau (sp) and willimette hops.
1/4 # of Munich dark and a 1/4 # of biscuit malt.

I would like to make a red ale that has some nice hop to it. Are there any suggestions with what I could do with my supply? I will be going to my HBS tomorrow to get additional malt. Is there a big difference with using dry or liquid malt? Thanks again for any suggestions.

How many oz of Cascade and Columbus hops did you say you had again? It looks like it didn't make it to your post. For red/copper ales I usually ask the shopkeeper to add about an ounce of black patent malt to my steeping grains. It gives a nice color with minimal flavor change. I couldn't imagine adding more though, its basicly charcoal.

Heck, I'd just get a can of Light LME and about 2-3 lbs of light DME, steep grains, add DME, boil, etc, etc, etc. Just a matter of figuring out which hops you want to use for bittering and which ones you want for flavor/aroma.

Don't know what to brew - brew wizen. I think it's the most rewarding and least demanding style. Take it easy easy on hops.

Here is what I brewed yesterday. It had a fairly light color to it...lighter than I would like. This was the first time I used Irish Moss and it seemed to really make a difference with clearity. I usually strain my wort when going to primary and I think this also helps with clearity. I did sample a bit and it tasted like weak beer so I figure thats a good sign. I took a OG measurement but I don't think my mixture (wort and water filler) was mixed thoroughly and the reading was way way low. Also is there much of an advantage with boiling a full five gallon wort? The most I can boil is about 2 1/2 gallons due to the kitchen stove heating capacity. I'm hoping the wife will let me go propane out in the garage.

All in all it was a good brew day. This was also my first time using iodophore so hopefully I can get rid of the medicinal taste (bleach). Any advice is greatly appreciated.

½ lb Biscuit Malt 23L
1/4lb Munich Malt Dark 9L
160° F 30’

3.3 lb LME
3 lb DME

Hops:
½ oz Columbus for 60’
¼ oz Cascade for 20’
¼ oz Cascade for 5”

Irish Moss for 15’

Yeast: 1056 American

Back