What to brew now, to drink at Christmas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MplsUgly

Reaction score
OK Folks, Here in Minnesota its never too early to prepare for winter. I'm thinking that now is probably the time to brew a big beer to age a bit and have ready for diking around the holidays when the temps drop. I'm thinking I want something big but smooth and maybe a little sweet. I'm a big fan of Bauhaus Brew Labs, Winterloper Baltic Porter.

Any recommendations for a big winter warmer and how long you would want to age it? What have you done that you really appreciated in the winter?

This is what im thinking?

Baltic Porter
Imperial Stout
Russian Imperial Stout
Scotch Ale (on oak?)
Milk Stout (on nibs?)

Two immediate suggestions that come to mind are a Bourbon Dubbel and a Gingerbread Ale.

I have tried the former and it is like a drink of heaven, especially after a couple-three months of aging that allow the bourbon to smooth out and work its way in.

I've not tried the Gingerbread Ale (yet), but it sure looks like a winner, in my opinion. I am not sure if I would classify it as a "big" beer, though.

I have recipes for both but they are in PDF format. If interested, shoot me an email and I can send them over.

One other option might be a Root Beer Stout that I brewed earlier this year and enjoyed very much. It is a pre-packaged mix from HopHero.com, and I was impressed. You could order it, or perhaps use the concept as a base for a recipe of your own.

Hope this helps -

Ron

I like to lay my imperial stouts down for at least six months to smooth out. IMO, it's worth the wait. I'd say go ahead and brew a scotch ale or a dubbel for xmas, then right after xmas, brew an imperial stout for next year.

I've got a bourbon barrel porter that went into the bottles about a month ago and are aging in a dark, cool corner of my basement until Christmas. I'll test one about Thanksgiving, but Christmas puts me right at six months maturity which is about the minimum recommended for this recipe.

I want to do a RIS at some point but from what I'm learning, it needs to mature at least a year before drinking.

From your list, I'd do a Wee Heavy.

Hi everyone, I'm happy to find this thread! I've been trying to find a Christmas beer to brew for this year's holiday season. I have been trying to find a partial mash/extract version of either a gingerbread brown ale and/or a Christmas spiced dunkel (maybe both, because: beer). If anyone has any suggestions or links for me I'd appreciate it! Cheers!

Two immediate suggestions that come to mind are a Bourbon Dubbel and a Gingerbread Ale.

I have tried the former and it is like a drink of heaven, especially after a couple-three months of aging that allow the bourbon to smooth out and work its way in.Ron

do you just add bourbon to your favorite dubbel recipe? during boil, primary, at bottling? or how does this one work?

i received an awesome bottle of bourbon from my boss recently, and Dubbels are one of my preferred styles, so it's something that i may want to try :)

J.

Hi, jurgenph -

All of the details from that brew are here, if you want to take a look:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=593681

I have the exact recipe that I used, and it was a great one. But it is in PDF file and not "my" recipe, so I am reluctant to post it in open forum. If you send a PM with your email, I can zap it over to you, and anyone else who wants it. :mug:

I just found this one today on BYO

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Better Not Pout Stout
Author: Ben VanderMeer

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: No Profile Selected
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4.25 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.075
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 6.3%
IBU (tinseth): 20.51
SRM (morey): 37.22

FERMENTABLES:
10.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (77.1%)
1.75 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 80L (12.8%)
5 oz - American - Black Malt (2.3%)
7 oz - American - Chocolate (3.2%)
4 oz - American - Roasted Barley (1.8%)
6 oz - Flaked Oats (2.8%)

HOPS:
1 oz - East Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.22
0.5 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.29

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 155 F, Time: 60 min
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 lb - Clover Honey, Time: 15 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil
1 tbsp - Cinnimon, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 tbsp - Nutmeg, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
2 oz - Freshly Grated Ginger, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
2 tsp - Allspice, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
0.75 tsp - Cloves, Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 oz - orange zest(from 3 medium sweet oranges), Time: 15 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
1 tsp - Irish Moss, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Danstar - Nottingham Ale Yeast
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 77%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Temp: 57 - 70 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

TARGET WATER PROFILE:
Profile Name: Home
Ca2: 82
Mg2: 0
Na: 0
Cl: 9
SO4: 3
HCO3: 0
Water Notes:

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/526266/better-not-pout-stout

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2017-08-10 20:42 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2017-08-10 18:37 UTC

Just kegged a gingerbread brown ale 10% ABV. I added orange blossom honey at flameout to increase the ABV

Back