What time/temp to use when recipe says "steep" for extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antifreze

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking into my first solo brew this weekend and am looking for an easy solid pale ale. The majority of the recipes I come across mention some grain and just say "steep" by it.

What temp and for how long do I do this for? Is this just steeped in my pre-boil volume, as in, I just steep and pull the bag out and bring that to a boil?

Sorry for the noob question.

Others with more knowledge will surely chime in but to answer your question with my methods here you go.

I start with my preboil volume of around 6 gallons. I bag the grains and drop them in and bring the water up to around 160-165. I usually leave the bag in for 30 minutes unless the kit instructions specify otherwise. That's 30 minutes total not 30 minutes at the holding temp. Then I pull it and proceed with the brewing process.

A side note though. I've read that taking the grains above 170 can release tannins. I've also read that its not a big deal. If you're worried just keep it under 170 and it won't matter.

170 is considered optimal. A little less won't hurt, a little more won't either (especially with darker grains).

I usually put the grains in the bag and drop in the cold water then bring the water to 165 or so and hold it there for 30 minutes. This way seems to work fine for me.

Keep it under 170 and above 150 for 30 minutes. You can extract tannins from your grains on the higher end and are not getting full use of them below 150. If you are doing a partial boil ideally you can steep your grains at a ratio of 1 gallon per lb for 30 minutes and then add that water to the rest of your boil water according to the Palmer book referenced above.

Back