What the HECK is that??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwmasstransit

Reaction score
Good evening everyone. New guy here, just bottled my second all grain batch (second beer brewed ever). It an Irish red ale, (ordered kit from Midwest) all went as well as can be expected for an inexperienced brewer. Fermented in plastic 6.5 bucket for 2 weeks at 65-68 degrees. I'm a sanitation freak, so when i cleaned everything after bottling i saw this green line in my airlock. It dose not wipe out and must be scrubbed vigorously to be removed. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400121369.928462.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400121426.545602.jpg
OG was 1.046 FG was 1.014. I used my properly mixed starsan in the airlock so i know it was sanitary during whole process.
The beer tasted great, did not smell pungent in a bad way, had a smooth finish and makes me looking forward to sharing with my friends in another few weeks.

I've spent a lot of time and energy doing my research and building a good 3 tier system to do thing right. I also built a dedicated fermentation chamber to ensure consistency.

I would like to know if yall have seen this or know what causes it, is it normal? Is it bad? I searched the forum and didn't see anything remotely related to this particular question.
I'd hate to think that i dedicate so much to my new hobby (that i love by the way) to think something simple could be screwing up my delicious beers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Is it hop debris from the krausen carried into the airlock with the escaping CO2? Perhaps you were close to needing a blow off tube.

Thats i a possibility i hadn't thought of. Based on the krausen line i don't think that to be the case and i never did see any in the airlock during fermentation. I guess it could be possible it was airborne hop particulates riding the Co2.

I think it has to do with the interaction of the SO3 that can be produced in fermentation, with the plastic. I have this on my airlocks used on lagers and wines. Nothing to sweat, sanitize and carry on.

I think it has to do with the interaction of the SO3 that can be produced in fermentation, with the plastic. I have this on my airlocks used on lagers and wines. Nothing to sweat, sanitize and carry on.

Thanks man. Like I said beer seems to be as awesome as one would hope. The green line just caught me off guard.

Back