What the heck is going on?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSM

Reaction score
Ok, back on August 19th I brewed up a batch of AHS pumpkin ale (using extract and windsor ale dry yeast) I let it sit in the primary for 4 weeks then I moved it to a carboy to clear it up a little. Its been clearing for about 2 weeks when tonight I noticed that the air lock was bubbling. The beer looks totally clean but it looks like is carbonated. I see a constant stream of bubbles rising. Now the only thing that has changed the last few days is that its gotten colder in the house. Is is really starting to ferment again???? - its a little late now but I'll move it to an empty keg tomorrow morning. Just tryign to figure out what's happening.

unfortunately no - its an extract brew and I usually compensate by letting it ferment longer (this went for 4 weeks). Its been business as usual until now :(

Go ahead and send it to the keg. Best case scenario is that it will carbonate itself. The odds of it over pressurizing the keg are practically unheard of. Worst case scenario involves bacteria in the carboy that you transferred to. Drink it quick before it goes sour.

well I can almost guarantee that after 6 weeks it isnt just going to start fermenting again...has there been any temperature change? I can say that I just transferred my pumpkin ale today to my secondary and it is still releasing co2 at a decent rate altho not much airlock action and my OG was 1.066, upon transfer I was at 1.014 which is close to my predicted FG. The only reason I can think of for continued fermenting would maybe be a break down of complex sugars from the pumpkin.

The only thing that has changed is it has gotten colder in the last few days. I didn't add any real pumpkin, just the pumpkin spice. I think Jeep may be right and i have a start of an infection.

What evidence do you have that it is an infection? Don't jump to conclusions...Just like bubbles are not a sign of fermentation...they are not a sign of infection...Are you using a Glass Carboy or Plastic? I would guess you are using plastic and it is from temperature change....Plastic flexes...if it gets a little temperature change it could cause bubbling...I would lean towards that than a infection...imo

The only thing that has changed is it has gotten colder in the last few days. I didn't add any real pumpkin, just the pumpkin spice. I think Jeep may be right and i have a start of an infection.

Your beer is just Degassing. Same thing happens when you make wine,but x20

I'm using a glass carboy. I'm the first one to admit, i don't know whats going on. I was trying to figure it out by elimination. In any case, I've transferred it to the keg, stuck it in the fridge and attached the CO2. It looked clean/clear, smelled good and tasted good (for flat, warm and non carbonated)

Latest posts

Back