What temperature to serve IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nreed

Reaction score
I noticed when drinking my latest brew (Maris Otter & Mosiac Pale) that it got nicer as it got warmer. Like noticeably better in flavour, aroma, mouthfeel and it got me wondering am I serving it too cold? What temperature does everyone go for? I think my fridge it at 4°C.

Yes, you are right - and that applies to pretty much any well-hopped pales through neipas.
Imo, no colder than 40-45°F (so, 4.5-7°C) in the glass.

The very first IPA I brewed with the new "Citra" hop when it first came out many years ago (I was still bottling) was so amazing to me I took a few bottles over to my lhbs. But I stuck them in a tiny cooler packed with ice cubes, and when I arrived they were so friggin' cold they were closed up tighter than...well, pick your favorite metaphor ;)

We let the glasses sit for awhile and as the beer warmed it opened up into a Citra bomb that slayed everyone in the store :D
So, yeah, some beers (maybe even most) need to be served at a temperature that doesn't keep them closed up...

Cheers!

My kegerator is set to 38f. I like my beer cold . I dont mind a stout a little warmer though. I dont slam the beer so I'm sure the temp drops a bit. Now I'm curious so i guess ill pour a pint and check the temp when its about 75% gone..... 😉

I fridge in the mid 40s but I think the low 50s are the drinking sweet spot IMHO. (For most styles)

I do not make IPA (or often drink it, either), but I have noticed that my home brew is really good when it is a few degrees warmer than I like store bought beer. Basically, when I open a Busch Light (my go to BMC), I like a scum of ice to form on the top when I pour. When I open a home brew, I can really appreciate the flavors when it is warmed up a bit.

I never serve ales colder than 10°C, except maybe Weissbier in the summer where I will go as low as 9°C.

Back