What temperature do you ferment your lagers at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on the yeast strain. I mostly use W-34/70 and try to ferment around 46-48 degrees. I once used S-23 and went more like 58 after reading that would help reduce fruitiness (which it did). My rule of thumb is pitch lots of yeast and go right at the bottom of the temperature range for whatever strain is being used.

I start my temp off at about 50-54 for about 1 day until it starts to bubble. I had a no-start when I pitched in 2 packets at 45, so I now pitch in when the wort is 54. Once it bubbles I drop the temp to about 44-45. I lager at 33 for at least 7 days for every 10 points of OG. Typically I stick to about 12 to 14. I do not do a dyactyl rest. I don't know if it is required with such a long lager time, but my beers come out very clean. I have a Bock going right now and it will be ready by around November. Also, I only keg all of my lagers. You can bottle them, but I like that the temperature never goes above 55.

I do not do a dyactyl rest. I don't know if it is required with such a long lager time, but my beers come out very clean.

After losing a batch to diacetyl when I first started lagering, I do one every batch now as a safeguard. Sounds like you have your process down but I would still be at least checking for diacetyl just in case!

Back