What Sugar Is Best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To my taste 2/3 turbinado and 1/3 dextrose is closest to apple sugar taste, so most neutral, although plain white is close - a little more winey. Honey works well also. Those kegs always float the fastest at parties

I've had good results with the very light brown organic sugar from the grocery. I have a batch going now with regular dark brown sugar--just wanted to see what the taste difference would be.

+1 on the malt extract. A pound of extra light DME and 2 cups brown organic sugar in a gallon of AJ, pitch your favorite ale yeast and let 'er rip. It'll make a drink so good if you dab some on your forehead your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get at it...

+1 on the malt extract. A pound of extra light DME and 2 cups brown organic sugar in a gallon of AJ, pitch your favorite ale yeast and let 'er rip. It'll make a drink so good if you dab some on your forehead your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get at it...

HAHAHa, hahah, HAHA, hhaaa. thats funny.

Whats DME?:fro:

How much DME do I use on a 5 gal. bucket brew?
5 lbs. DME / 10 cups brown sugar? Seems like a lot?:fro:

I guess most people add sugar by weight, especially for larger batches. 2 lbs to 5 gallons is a recipe I've seen, but I like mine sweet. My "forehead-beater" recipe is somewhat sweet, especially since some of the malt sugars don't ferment all the way out. That's just my taste; some folks like it dryer.

Back