What style of beer is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcclai7

Reaction score
A friend and I are going to brew the following recipe tomorrow. He swears its the best beer he's ever brewed. I'm not huge on style guidelines but I would like to be able to call it something.

O.G. 1.041
F.G. 1.010
ABV 4 %
SRM 6
IBU 20

100% Vienna Malt
1 oz Amarillo FWH
1 oz Amarillo Flameout
Nottingham ale yeast @ 68F

too light for a mild, not hoppy enough to be an English bitter or Pale Ale, too much malt flavor for a blone ale, WTF is it?

i think its a kolsch.

specifically it is a vienna ale, the aren't produced commercially any longer. it was a type of kologne ale made in vienna. when temps were too hot for laggering. only ales from the Kologne region could be called kolsch (kologne ales)

I have brewed a similar beer with both Nottingham and WLP029 and the consensus is that it is a kolsch.

If you use Nottingham on this, rehydrate it and keep the fermentation temp on the very low end of the range, it will make a big difference in this beer as there is not much to hide a strong yeast flavor.

i think its a kolsch.

specifically it is a vienna ale, the aren't produced commercially any longer. it was a type of kologne ale made in vienna. when temps were too hot for laggering. only ales from the Kologne region could be called kolsch (kologne ales)

Good info. This sounds like a winner to me.

I know its a SMaSH but smashes can be in many different styles. I wanted something a bit more specific. Also, I don't think you could just call it a straight kolsch given the higher fermentation temps and English yeast. I like Vienna Ale.

Thanks to all that responded.

Latest posts

Back