What style is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juke

Reaction score
I did my first all-grain brew this past weekend. I am new to this and I thought this was a pale ale recipe. Here is what I brewed:

60min single infusion mash, batch sparge, 60min boil, 8 days Primary, 6 days secondary -> bottles

Here is the ingredient list:

Malt:
10# 2-Row Pale Malt
.5# Crystal 120L
.5# Special B
1 # Dark Candi Syrup D2 - Last 15 mins of the boil

White Labs California Ale WLP001 - In a starter for 3 days prior to pitch.

Hops:
.5oz Cascade 5.3AA -First Wort Hopping
2oz Liberty 3.0AA - Bittering (60 mins)
1oz Mt. Hood 4.7AA- Aroma (Last 15mins)
.5oz Cascade 5.3AA - Dry Hopping (Secondary - 6days)

OG 1.060, Expected FG 1.016 SRM looks like 30

It has been in the fermenter 2 days now! The yeast are tearing it up. It has a yeasty, fruity aroma!

This doesn't seem pale ale style. It appears to be similar to a dubbel or old ale style. If this is more a stronger ale style should I ferment longer? Would this be a longer conditioning period than 2 - 3 weeks in the bottle.

Any help would be great...

Thanks,

Josh

Sounds like a tasty american amber to me! As for the conditioning time, darker beers generally need a bit longer to mellow out and get really good.

Dubbels pretty much need a belgian yeast and the hops/schedule does not fit the style either. Old Ales are usually much higher in OG and your hop/schedule/yeast does not fit the bill.

You made beer. Unless you enter competitions or want to brew a very specific style, you don't have to "label" your creations. Many commercial brewers don't bother doing it or brew so loosely that the style is more of an indication of the final colour than anything else. My guess is that it is a bit lighter than 30 SRM so it might just be a dark American Amber beer.

California Ale yeast has performed very poorly for me flocculation wise so I would definately leave the beer on the cake for at least three weeks or until it clears up significantly. It's a good yeast, mind you, but it is slow to go to bed.

This seems to fit more in the brown ale style. Id say leave it in primary for 4-6 weeks and then bottle.

Latest posts

Back