What software?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefrayser

Reaction score
Looking for a program for my recipe's and to check others that I may want to try. What are some good ones that are Mac compatible? I downloaded the free version of Brewers Friend and it looks good. I'm sure I will have some questions once I start with a program but need to get one first

BeerSmith has been good to me, and can be had for <$20 from a vendors website on HBT.

I use a Mac and I have beersmith 2.2 (which is beersmith 2.1 on disc plus a free update). Not the cheapest software but I like it so far. I think on their sites theres a 21 day trial so you can test the full version. It's a handy software and probably what the majority of folks use here on hbt. But there are some other good ones, I wouldn't know about mac compatibility though.

I just got beersmith and it is great so far. Costs nearly $30 from their website. If you want a good free one then use brewtoad. It is online only but you can create a profile, save recipes you create, publish recipes, and search other published recipes.

BrewTarget is a great, open source and free software similar to BeerSmith. (runs on mac). As the others have said, Beersmith is a great tool too.

I have been using Beer Tools Pro for about 6 years
6 years ago it was the only software i could find to run on the Mac

After 6 years of use, and 21 minor upgrades to the software
I am not impresses, and looking to switch over to Beer Smith

I am not a fan of Beer Smith ' s 'look'
it reminds me of every other Windows product

But i did a comapision side by side with a friend that had BS, and it just
works better !

Beer Tools Pro, alsways seemed like a work in progress for the developers
They haven't really done anythgin to it in the last 2 years, ecpect come up with a full version upgrade they want another $29 for.

They gave away a lot of little bug fix / incremental upgrades, but every single
upgrade - changed each recipe i had created, OG, FG IBU numbers would change based on thier new upgrade.

Well that required me to Print out every recipe, so when there was a upgrade
I could see what my OG, or FG, or IBU's were before the upgrade to see what had changed.....

What is the point of the software if i have to print out every recipe ?!

Soon I will be switching to Beer Smith.

- I'll stop ranting now.
:mug:

I have BeerAlchemy on my Mac. I also have it on my iPad and they synch wirelessly so I can write a recipe on one and it will beon both. I often use my iPad when I brew and if I make changes on the fly I can just change things during the brew and then synch it later to my mac.

Beersmith runs fine on my Mac. Great software, although it does have a steep learning curve IMHO. The website has tons of help and advice on various brewing topics.

Like wow man. I just write things down using this thing called a 'pen' I think? Sometimes, duh, I forget to use paper and mom wipes down the counter and I lose my deep thoughts. Real bummer doode.

Back