What sized starter should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skep18

Reaction score
Some friends and I have a 5gal NB Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA (Extract) in the line up to be brewed next. We're sort of new to this homebrew thing, but have come a long way. On my last batch of NB Caribou Slobber (Extract), I did make a simple starter, 1.040 SG 1L starter, however, from reading, it's a pretty low gravity beer (~1.052) so I didn't worry about it much figuring a 1L starter using the Wyeast was OK. However, this next brew OG is supposed to be 1.086, which is a little higher, so I want to sort of ensure I'm doing everything I can to make a good brew.

I looked at Mr. Malty, however, its giving me some crazy numbers, like needing 2 or 3 packs of Wyeast for the starter or making a 4L starter or something. I'm wanting to try my hand at a stepped starter I think to grow this as opposed to those numbers. I will be making a stir plate for this brew and I'm not in any huge hurry right now. My question is how should I go about stepping this up. I don't suppose I need to get all scientific, I just want to get a round-about way of getting in the ballpark and off to a good start.

Without any other guidance, I figured I'd follow NB's generic instructions and just do a 1L 1.040 starter, decant, and repeat one more time.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

There is a slider at the bottom of the mrmalty calculator that you can manipulate for larger starters and fewer yeast packaged.

When doing a step up you do not get the same growth out of an equal sized second step as you get in the first.

Yeastcalc.com has information and a calculator for making step starters.

It is better to get a bit scientific and learn to make starters properly than to just make a stab at getting it close.

There is a slider at the bottom of the mrmalty calculator that you can manipulate for larger starters and fewer yeast packaged.

When doing a step up you do not get the same growth out of an equal sized second step as you get in the first.

Yeastcalc.com has information and a calculator for making step starters.

It is better to get a bit scientific and learn to make starters properly than to just make a stab at getting it close.

Interesting. NB states a 1L stepped by another 1L will yield more yeast than a single 2L starter... I guess you're saying that's incorrect?

And thanks for yeastcalc. I'll take a look. As mentioned in other threads, I'm ok with looking at some calcs, but again, these are living things which don't always follow calcs. And, others obviously report good results without getting all scientific (or even starters at all, not to mention stepped ones). Finally, I won't pretend my practices are good enough to where my starter precision will be the short stick in my process. That's why I say getting somewhere close would be better than making my 1L starter and pitching in 24 hours probably.

For years, I have made what most people consider to be small starters with little lead time, but fermentation always starts within 24 hours, finishes within 4-5 days, and I never have attenuation problems. The morning before brew day I smack a Wyeast smack-pack and set it on the counter at room temp. Later that evening I boil 1/2 quart of water with 1/2 cup DME for a few minutes, cool it down to room temp, pitch the smack-pack and swirl gently for a few minutes. I use an old apple cider jar covered with some tin foil and no stir plate. The next day it is completely fermented out. I swirl a few times during the day and then pitch the whole thing that night. Easy peasy!

Back