What size kettle to get for 10g batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antifreze

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have decided that I am going to go with the BIAB method for homebrewing. I would like to be able to go up to 10 gallon batches but I'm not sure how this translates to kettle size for the grain + water. It seems like a 10 gallon kettle is needed for a 5 gallon brew, so is it safe to assume I should get a 20 gallon kettle for a 10 gallon brew?

Biggest you can afford. Depends a lot on what gravity brews you plan to make.

I have a 25gal, always do at least 10gal. Did a 15 gal Friday, and a full 25 gallon with some extract and of course had to top off a little after boil. Those were respectively a 1.110 beer and a 1.073.

I have a 16 gallon kettle and I do 10-11 gallon brews in it with no issue, and that's with a false bottom in there. Highest ever was 1.065 and it fit perfectly. If I'm doing a really high gravity brew, I typically only brew 5-6 gallon batches simply because the big beers are typically special ones.

Bear in mind that for BIAB, you're putting your entire grain bill and entire boil volume of water in the same kettle. With a 20 gal kettle, you might be pushing the limits. I'd go 25 to be safe.

20 gallon is a nice size for 10 gallon BIAB. Unless you are looking to make some crazy high gravity 10 gallon batches, a 20 gallon should treat you well.

Back