What size bottles do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottT

Reaction score
I despise 12 oz bottles. I mean there OK if your swiging longnecks down at the dance hall but when I'm pouring into a glass and savoring some ale, I want a full to the top imperial pint. That's a full 20 oz.

Needless to say, I'm going to be using 22 oz bottles so I can still get the full glass after a first smooth swallow and topping off the glass still leaving the yeast in the bottom of the bottle.

What say you?

I start with 22's then 16's (flippies) and revert to 12's when the other two are spent. Can't wait for my next bottle though; the corny kegs coming via UPS real soon! ;) I'll still bottle some batches though...

Oh, unless I'm brewing something for the wife, then I always use 12's. It's subliminal but I don't think she'll have as many and I won't have to brew "her stuff" as often. Opening 2 22's doesn't seem so bad but opening 4-12's makes her think she's over indulging. :D

For me, it depends what the bottle holds. If it's something real robust like a stout, then I'll settle for 12 oz. But if it's an easy drinking pale ale - 22 oz all the way. One of those and you're feeling good...two and you feel like a kid waking up on Christmas morning :cross:

I like using the single 5-gallon sized bottles. :D
But if its something I want to bottle for storage or aging, I'll start with my 1.5L swingtops and work my way down through 22, 16, and finally 12's (fliptops first). I never pull out the 8's unless for braggots or meads.

Wild

I'm a purist, so I still use 12 oz. bottles. :rolleyes: I use 22 oz. for certain beers, like Imperial IPA's or Christmas beers. Eventually, I'll probably go the keg route, but I'm in no hurries.

Nothing but 12s. It's more bottling to be done but I am used to the size (two of them makes a night a bit more relaxing without leaving me groggy). The point about different sizes for personal use and export (i.e., giving away) makes a lot of sense - but I guess I am just a creature of habit.

orfy said:
Are you guys going to shout at me if I saw 1ltr PET plastic bottles? :rolleyes:

I will be using half ltr glass bottles and hope to get a keg soon.
No beer for you! Come back, one year! (Is that close enough to shouting? ;) )

Using all 12 oz's with the exception of a couple Bass bottles, which I'm unsure of how much they hold. Hoping to upgrade to kegs a batch or two down the road.

LupusUmbrus said:
Using all 12 oz's with the exception of a couple Bass bottles, which I'm unsure of how much they hold.

If they are the big Bass bottles, they are 1 pint 3.8 (or 3.4) ounces.

I only know this because I cleaned the labels off of 6 of those this past weekend.

-walker

wild said:
I like using the single 5-gallon sized bottles. :D
But if its something I want to bottle for storage or aging, I'll start with my 1.5L swingtops and work my way down through 22, 16, and finally 12's (fliptops first). I never pull out the 8's unless for braggots or meads.

Wild
Where did you get a hold of 8 oz bottles that are not twist off?

I use a fair mix - from small 275ml and 330ml bottles for the strong Belgian beers, through 500ml bottles for standard ales. big 750ml bottles for Wheat beer and 1l PET bottles for quick brewing / quick consumption ales, like 70/-, 80/- and light IPA's

No idea how any of that translates into US measures - it's difficult enough with your phony gallons not being the same as ours, without tossing metric measures into the mix :drunk: :D

for the american's... 1 oz is approximately 30 ml. (29.5833 for those not comfortable rounding things off.)

80/-'s little bottles are 9 and 11 oz.

-walker

AHammer16 said:
Where did you get a hold of 8 oz bottles that are not twist off?
That was the minimum sized bottle accepted for a couple of Mead Contests I had the opportunity to be the Head Steward of. And as Head Steward, I had to dispose of the empties. :D
These bottles are also available at my LHBS.

Wild

Now that I have 5 full batches bottled, I'm using pretty much anything I can get my hands on. Champaign bottles, bombers, random 12ouncers, even a couple 6 ouncers.

I like to mix it up so that I have a variety of sizes to choose from depending on my mood.

Hey Ya'll,

For years I used 22 oz bottles for my homebrew.
As I switched to Idophor from bleach,
12 oz bottles became easy to wash out,
'Bavarian' , Moosehead, I like the green glass.

I peeked into the brewery this morning and was able to behold:
Mixed in with my 22 oz brown bottles,
and my 12 oz green glass bottles,
22oz Big Short Guiness bottles,
22oz big green heineken bottles,
different colors and size's of bottles,

Each batch, its own shelf... but different bottles.
For each batch of homebrew, for say,
' Shelf #3...'
'9 pound Hammer.'
Some green 12's,
some brown 22's,
and some odd size and shape, and color...
so as to have the correct color and size bottle for:
Whichever batch of whichever ale,
7 1/2lb... 8lb... 9lb... 'Hammer.'

for which ever degree of 'thirst'
and for whatever time of day or night,
for whatever mood ...
I was experiencing at the moment.

Is that getting living down or what?

J. Winters Knife
Published Poet
Hunter Trapper
and Killer of Whitemen

Yeah,
And the Grolsch bottles are cool too!
The red washer on top comes off and is easy to sterilize,
I throw them in the small bucket of 'Idophor' with my caps.
Postage on 8 cases of bottles all the way from England would be kinda cost prohibitive however. I would go down to the beer store and buy 8 cases of grolsch and just drink them.

J. Knife

Hey Orfy,

Where are you at over in the U.K.?
My name is Hamilton and the Hamilton clan comes from Cadyow,
120 miles N.N-E, of Edinbourough.
I would like to go back to the 'old country' some day, and check it out.
I have looked into some SCOT history and it is really some weird ****.
The battle of Abercorn and all that,
where the Hamilton deserted this kinsman 'the Douglas'
at the battle of Abercorn,
and was rewarded with vast tracts of land,
including the isle of Arron,
and the hand of the kings own daughter.
{The Douglas started it anyway.}
And the master bladesmith here told me those big 'Claymore swords',
are for english horses! Leg choppers! Gag!

Easier to just move over here.

J. Winters, Byram, Hamilton, Knife

YUP, Interesting place, I'm 4 hours south of Edingburgh. I Holiday up there often.
The battles can often be recreated on a Sturday night when the locals have had a six pack of Special Brew. :D

I live between Manchester and Liverpool in an Old Brewing Town. "Warrington"

Back