What size blowoff tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a carboy cap, use the tubing for your siphon. It fits on your longer tube on the cap. If not, I think a 1" will fit tightly inside and be good.

Ya, no carboy cap. I believe the normal blowoff for a carboy is 1.25" external measurement, but I think that will be to big for a BB. Guess I can measure when I get home.

You can put it inside the lip or outside. That way you can be a little off on your calc's.

Another option is pvc pipe. Buy a size that fits inside the neck of the carboy. You can get a good seal using saran wrap or something else if it doesn't fit perfectly. Cut the pvc pipe and add "L's" so that it goes into a bucket. I found this was cheaper than the large diameter tubing needed. Also I heard discussion on here that tubing sometimes doesn't give a good seal because it may not be perfectly round, may bend into an oval shape. To each his own and as long as you get the job done! This information should be credited to someone on this board who gave me the idea. There are pictures of it on here somewhere as well.

Back