What size blow off tube for 5 gallon glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcbjr77

Reaction score
Hello, I totally forgot to measure the opening of my carboy this morning. I will be picking up some tubing after work....what size tubing are you folks using?

Thanks, :cross: :cross: :cross:
Larry

Wait what? How the hell else am I supposed to put a blowoff on my bucket??

In most cases, that's going to work fine... I do the same in my carboy. 3/8" tube in the rubber bung hole.

Heh... Bung hole.

What he's most probably referring to is the tube or airlock getting "jammed" with krausen and pressurizing the container, then "BLAMMO!"

I just check mine to make sure it isn't plugged every once in awhile.

Wait what? How the hell else am I supposed to put a blowoff on my bucket??
I normally have enough headspace in a bucket that 3/8" tube works fine or even that is unneeded. Besides, most lids will pop the seal from the pressure before ejecting the tubing.

On a 5 gallon carboy with 5 gallons of wort in it and active primary fermentation you will often clog the tube within and hour or two the krausen starting to rise. On those, the best is a tubing the same diameter as the neck and large bucket for the overflow.

Yes, I know from experience. I have painted the ceiling and I have popped the seal on more than one lid.

I normally have enough headspace in a bucket that 3/8" tube works fine or even that is unneeded. Besides, most lids will pop the seal from the pressure before ejecting the tubing.

On a 5 gallon carboy with 5 gallons of wort in it and active primary fermentation you will often clog the tube within and hour or two the krausen starting to rise. On those, the best is a tubing the same diameter as the neck and large bucket for the overflow.

Yes, I know from experience. I have painted the ceiling and I have popped the seal on more than one lid.

I've currently got 6.9 gallons of 1.105 wort with S04 in it in a 7.9 gallon bucket. 1 gallon headspace with that yeast has me a bit worried.

I've currently got 6.9 gallons of 1.105 wort with S04 in it in a 7.9 gallon bucket. 1 gallon headspace with that yeast has me a bit worried.
Just crack the lid and set it on a towel. You airlock won't do anything but when (in the case of S-04) the krausen starts slamming into the lid it will take the path of least resistance and dribble down the side onto the towel.

I have never done true open fermentation but when I was still doing 12 gallons in a 15 gallon demi-john (what a pain that was) I would just wrap foil over the top until the krausen started to drop to keep the majority of the dog and cat air out. Never and infection.

Latest posts

Back