What should I do with my infected cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
Back in June I made five 1 gallon batches to test various recipes/ingredients. Of the 5 test batches, my 'maple pecan' was the only one to get infected (the others ended up being pretty good except for my pumpkin pie experiment which didn't taste at all like pumpkin pie).

I've been unsure what to do with the infected gallon so it's just been sitting in secondary for the last 38 days (58 days total fermentation).

My question: What should I do with my infected cider? Pour it down the drain? Bottle it anyway? Add some brett?

It has that plasticy ice berg stuff floating around (and yes, I know I know... headspace. This was all part of me learning).

rSsSAez.jpg

l1w4vZh.jpg

pull a sample and taste it. If it tastes ok, carefully siphon off the cider and drink it. I've got cider that looks way worse than that but tastes fine. The traditional way to make cider is in barrels, and if you could see inside of those, I'm sure you would see a surface films similar to what you have.

awesome maybe... try adding some bret and lacto and make a sour cider! I have been wanting to experiment with something like this for a while but havent. Sour apple cider.... like a jolly rancher in a glass! depending on the character you get out of it you will likely have to back sweeten just a bit if you go this route but definitely pull a sample and see what it tastes like. You might be pleasantly surprised (but depends on what its infected with). :mug:

Latest posts

Back