What should i do with a wine that came in at a much lower ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pastorom

Reaction score
First time brewing some Wine (i've mostly done Beer before). Used a winexpert merlot kit with the grape skins, and started off at 1.080. The instructions called for a 2 week primary ferment with daily punchdowns. At the end of 2 weeks, bubbling had stopped, and so i unfortunately stabilized by adding sorbate *before* i measured gravity again (Idiotic, i know). Well, it measured at 1.035, giving me 5.91%. A quick taste test confirms that the wine is sweeter than any merlot ought to be. I'm currently clarifying and oaking it (with chips) in a glass carboy, but i was wondering what my options are here. It tastes *fine* to me, so my first thought was to use the batch in summer sangrias over time and not repeat my mistake the next time around.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Just toss it down the drain?

You could fortify it with a grape brandy slightly. Do a bench test first. Never toss unless infected. You could always blend it with a future batch.

You can over power the sorbate if you do a stater and keep adding the most to the high yeast count in the starter. Do a search. I haven't done this myself but I have seen several members do it successfully, at least they say so.

Your OG reading is really really low for a kit which is usually more like 1.090. Did you add too much water?
And your FG is very very high. After two weeks, it should have been in the .990's. How sure are you of the readings? Does your hydrometer read 1.000 in water?
If this is too sweet, one way to make it less so is to carbonate it if you have kegging gear.

Back