What should I do to save my IPA from Bad old hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAdamC

Reaction score
I brewed this SMaSH:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: #6 Munich/Centennial SMaSH IPA
Brewer: Adam Clark
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 12.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 91.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
1.50 oz Centennial [9.30 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hops 45.1 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hops 29.1 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [9.30 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [9.30 %] (10 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
2.00 oz Centennial [9.40 %] (5 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.30 %] (2 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1.10 tsp Fermcap (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs US-05 Yeast-Ale

It was supposed to be an awesome IPA, but I used (for the 5 min. addition) 2 oz. of frozen brewcraft 2008 leaf hops. Everything else is pellets. When I opened the nitrogen purged vacuum sealed bag. They smelled a bit funny, but not bad. Just to make sure they were still good, I boiled about .25 oz... smelled OK.
But then, the next week, I opened the other bag, and my wife told me they smelled like bad cheese. My friend came over (brew buddy) and said they smelled nasty. I smelled them (these had been thawed for a few hours) and they smelled like nasty feet or something.
I had already brewed with the first bag. I'm not sure if my batch is ruined, but I'm leaning that way.
So, what would YOU do? What should I do? I have no idea. I don't want to dump it, and won't unless absolutely necessary. I'm open to anything, and wondering if I should throw some brett or something in it and let it sit for a year, Though I have no experience with sour beers whatsoever, except for liking Rodenbach.
This was my 7th batch, brewed about three weeks ago. I did 3 extract w/ grain recipes, then went all grain. My AG stuff has been great, other than a bit strong, as I seem to be getting over 80% eff. and ending up over target, and with too much wort every time.
Any help from an experienced brewer would be greatly appreciated. It's sitting in secondary @ 1.021 @ 64 degrees. Any hope for it???
Thanks,
Adam

I would #1 just chill. its beer man its going to be really ok.#2 after the brew is completely bottled and 2 or 3 weeks go by invite a buddy or two over to try it out. Now don't hand them the beer and warn them about the nasty hop situation. Just hand them their beers and with your best poker face wait to see what they think. You might be surprized. Remember its easier to freak yourself out than it is to mess up a batch of beer. Happy brewing bro!

if there was anything funky about those hops you boiled it out. The cheesey extra week bag should be tossed.
Try the beer when it's ready. Dry hop if it needs more or better flavor.

I already threw the other bag away. It was stinking up my house. I'm worried because I only boiled for 5 min. It has already been dry hopped w/ 2oz. I just don't want to keep throwing hops in and end up wasting them. Thanks.

interesting to use all munich for an IPA. im pretty sure all the recipes which were called ipa's that i have seen only call for maybe 1lb of munich.

Don't get me wrong I love munich, but using pure munich will pretty much just make a munich dunkel no matter what you do. albeit a very hoppy dunkel but a dunkel nonetheless.

but ya about the hops. dont throw out the batch. RDWHAHB. taste it when it should be done then decide, and by deciding i mean leave it longer and then taste it again. If anything throw more hops in if its starting to taste good.

You haven't said anything about how it tastes. If it is okay at this point, it won't suddenly go weird on you.

I got some fresh harvested centennial at the end of last year, and they had an odd, maybe cheezy to barnyard like smell. I used them for everything from bittering to dry hops in an IPA, Pale Ale, and IIPA. All good! Enough that I entered one into a contest!

So, obviously, my advice is: RDWHAHB!:mug:

Rich

Back