What should I do now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IsThisHair?

Reaction score
I've brewed a Belgian Saison extract kit and I pitched the Lalbrew Voss Kveik Ale Yeast. Perhaps this isn't the best match for this brew, but I don't yet know what it will taste like so let's find out!

Original Gravity: 1.078
Stalled Gravity after 48hrs: 1.012
Est. OG/ABV: 1.080-1.084 / 7-9%

The Voss Kveik is off recipe so after 48 hours I believe that it is done fermenting and I was wondering if I should let it settle for a week or should I move to bottling?

Definitely wait longer to bottle. Even for kveik, 48 hours isn't that long. It most likely has a little bit more work to do. Kegging is a little more forgiving, but with with bottling, you need to be very sure it's done, or you can end up with bottle bombs. If you can check the gravity without exposing the beer to oxygen, then go ahead and check it now. If you have to open your fermenter, then wait at least a full week (preferably ten days) before checking gravity. It needs to be stable for a few days before bottling.

Kveik is certainly faster than other yeasts, but sitting a few extra days won't hurt it. And bottling too soon can be very dangerous. So just have a little patience! Your beer will be better for it.

ETA: Just noticed you included your current gravity reading. That's close to your FG, I'm sure, but it may also go a few points lower. Still best to wait at least a week.

Last edited:
Definitely wait longer to bottle. Even for kveik, 48 hours isn't that long. It most likely has a little bit more work to do. Kegging is a little more forgiving, but with with bottling, you need to be very sure it's done, or you can end up with bottle bombs. If you can check the gravity without exposing the beer to oxygen, then go ahead and check it now. If you have to open your fermenter, then wait at least a full week (preferably ten days) before checking gravity. It needs to be stable for a few days before bottling.

Kveik is certainly faster than other yeasts, but sitting a few extra days won't hurt it. And bottling too soon can be very dangerous. So just have a little patience! Your beer will be better for it.

ETA: Just noticed you included your current gravity reading. That's close to your FG, I'm sure, but it may also go a few points lower. Still best to wait at least a week.
Thanks for you advice, much appreciated. I was also wondering if I would need to let it settle at room temp at some point? Like say after a week.

Last edited:
I would probably keep it higher for about two more days just to make sure it finishes up. But I don't think you need to keep it there for the full time it's in the fermenter. When I'm doing kveik, I usually watch to see when the krausen falls and when I notice yeast dropping out of suspension. I'll usually keep it warm another day or two and then let it fall naturally back to room temp.

Latest posts

Back