What should I brew next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrain

Reaction score
First batch bottled today...tasted a bit off but it will hopefully change once it has been carbonated and is ready to go. I am definitely going to use some of the tips that were provided. A to Z brown ale kit down...think I am going to try something not out of a kit this time around. Any suggestions for a second batch? I am a fan of dark angry beers that crap thunder and eat lightning.

Go for the easy win. Something you rarely buy but like when you drink it. Darker and roasty flavors hid a multitude of flaws if you mess something minor up. Do you like Tawny or dry porters? How about a Marzen or dark scottish (thinking Ornkey Dark Island)? Maybe a Black IPA if you like them hoppier.

There are some great kits from some of the more prominent home brew online retailers. I like Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewery. From NB, love Caribou Slobber (American Brown Ale that Clones Moose Drool).

Go for the easy win. Something you rarely buy but like when you drink it. Darker and roasty flavors hid a multitude of flaws if you mess something minor up. Do you like Tawny or dry porters? How about a Marzen or dark scottish (thinking Ornkey Dark Island)? Maybe a Black IPA if you like them hoppier.

There are some great kits from some of the more prominent home brew online retailers. I like Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewery. From NB, love Caribou Slobber (American Brown Ale that Clones Moose Drool).

All grain kits are a good go to. I've ALWAYS had great luck with the NB all grain kits.

If I'm coming up with something on my own, I like to start as simple as possible... maybe 10 lbs 2-row, 1 lb Vienna/Munich/Wheat/Rye/etc... and 8 oz of some type of crystal. Brew that up and add a bit of something else in later versions... maybe change up mash temps, hop schedule/type, grain bill, etc...

I like the kits because you have to think less, but developing a recipe is also quite a bit of fun.... but again, I brew for fun, so I just try to keep it simple.

Looking over the equipment I need for an all grain brewing system..I am no where near ready for that yet. I found a barleywine recipe on line called "Gravity Bomb Barleywine" looks great but I only want to make a half boil...this recipe calls for 2 full packets of yeast should I half these amounts?

Looking over the equipment I need for an all grain brewing system..I am no where near ready for that yet. I found a barleywine recipe on line called "Gravity Bomb Barleywine" looks great but I only want to make a half boil...this recipe calls for 2 full packets of yeast should I half these amounts?

Half boil has nothing to do with yeast amount. The high gravity nature of a barleywine requires a much higher pitch rate in order to properly ferment that style.

Do you mean you only want to do a 2.5 gallon batch? Or you can only do a partial boil?

No problem
Partial boil means you use around half of the volume for your batch during the boil, and top up with water to the full volume.
Full boil is then using enough volume to create a full batch.

Still, given that it is a barleywine, and if you don't intend on making a starter, I would stick with the two packets of yeast. But you can half all of the other ingredients if the original is for a 5 gallon batch.

No problem
Partial boil means you use around half of the volume for your batch during the boil, and top up with water to the full volume.
Full boil is then using enough volume to create a full batch.

Still, given that it is a barleywine, and if you don't intend on making a starter, I would stick with the two packets of yeast. But you can half all of the other ingredients if the original is for a 5 gallon batch.

ty again for the help,I was actually pricing everything out and it would be such nominal difference from 2.5 gallon batch to full 5 gallon batch I think I am going to go the full monty. Shipping is free after a point and it just makes sense. I was going to add pumpkin puree to this batch when should I add it? Do I add in the boil or during the fermentation?

I was going to add pumpkin puree to this batch when should I add it? Do I add in the boil or during the fermentation?

This really is stretching a second brew. You are doing High Gravity (takes forever to mature) and a non-beer ingredient (sorry, pumpkin is not a normal beer ingredient). I am not saying it will not be great but you are being very ambitious for second batch.

I added mine to the boil in a muslin bag. I baked it first around 350 I think for an hour and added at the boil.

Latest posts

Back