What Makes More Red? Roasted Or Crystal Barley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think roasted barley comes out red when used in very small amounts. Too much and you'll have yourself a stout.

2 oz of Roasted Barley in 5 gallons will yield a nice red color with undetectable flavor contribution. You'd need more like six to eight ounces of 120L Crystal to get the same effect, and there would be a noticeable flavor contribution.

Cheers!

Bob

2 oz of Roasted Barley in 5 gallons will yield a nice red color with undetectable flavor contribution. You'd need more like six to eight ounces of 120L Crystal to get the same effect, and there would be a noticeable flavor contribution.

Cheers!

Bob

Bob,

I was thinking more like 4 oz. of roasted barley (300 SRM).
When I plug it in to BeerSmith it gives a nice deep red color.
But then again I'm not sure which roasted barley BeerSmith is
using to calculate color, the american pale roasted barley (300 SRM) or the
English roasted barley (500 SRM).

Were you thinking 2 oz. of the 300 SRM or 500 SRM.

Thanks,

Chuck

...But then again I'm not sure which roasted barley BeerSmith is

If you double click on the ingredient within the beer recipe it will pop up a detail window that will tell you the stats (including SRM) of the grains. You can also make custom grains if there is one you want to use that is not listed.

I believe it was BYO that had an article about color vs SRM of different grains recently. I had always heard that a little Roasted barley would make a beer red, however in the pictures accompanying the article the beer containing roasted barley always appeared shades of brown. The beers using small amounts of roasted malts however did appear red. I can't remember if they used chocolate malt or black patent. I'll try to find the article this evening.

Craig

Bob,

I was thinking more like 4 oz. of roasted barley (300 SRM).
When I plug it in to BeerSmith it gives a nice deep red color.
But then again I'm not sure which roasted barley BeerSmith is

Were you thinking 2 oz. of the 300 SRM or 500 SRM.

Hang on a sec! I think you're confusing Roasted Barley with other dark-roasted malts.

Given my perusal this morning of every North American maltster's website (so I don't miss anything), there is no such thing as "American pale roasted barley", 300SRM or otherwise. There is Chocolate malt at 350 SRM and Dark Chocolate at 420 SRM, as well as Black Malt at 500 SRM (all from Briess). Note that this is not Black Patent Malt, which has the same SRM but totally different flavor and color characteristics. Great Western does not manufacture dark-roasted malts of any type; neither do Gambrinus nor Rahr. That's why I think you're confused: if the sole North American maltster of dark-roasted malts doesn't list what you describe in their products line, something's out of skew! ;)

Roasted Barley comes from UK. Muntons Roasted Barley averages 500 SRM, as does Fawcett's. And that's what I was thinking of: 2-4 oz of 500 SRM UK roasted barley. That amount in five gallons should provide a nice color and no perceptible flavor.

Black Patent malt will turn a beer brown. Chocolate malt will turn a beer red, but requires larger amounts to do so, upon which flavor will definitely be impacted. Same with any of the Crystal malts - use enough to get the color, and the flavor can go out of whack.

Cheers!

Bob

Okay, I'm an idiot. I failed to look past "Dark Roasted Malts" in the list. :eek:

Never mind my analysis, then. Sorry! I am unfamiliar with the stuff, that's for sure.

Be that as it may, I know for a fact that 500L Roasted Barley, as well as Chocolate Malt and Crystal Malt, does what I say it does. :D I just don't know a darned thing about this 300L Roasted Barley.

Bob

Oh dear Lord, Bob doesn't know all things beer. Walks sadly away, looking for a new beer hero to look up to. ;) :D

If you double click on the ingredient within the beer recipe it will pop up a detail window that will tell you the stats (including SRM) of the grains. You can also make custom grains if there is one you want to use that is not listed.

Yep,

It's 300 SRM.

I think I'll try 4 oz. for 5 gal.:rockin:

I believe it was BYO that had an article about color vs SRM of different grains recently. I had always heard that a little Roasted barley would make a beer red, however in the pictures accompanying the article the beer containing roasted barley always appeared shades of brown. The beers using small amounts of roasted malts however did appear red. I can't remember if they used chocolate malt or black patent. I'll try to find the article this evening.

Craig

Sounds Great!

Let me know when you find the link:mug:

Thanks,

Chuck

Back