What lengths do you go for brewing safety?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanryates

Reaction score
Post your best photos of safety around the home brewery.

Transporting a 20# CO2 tank home. It was snowing hard that day, so I had to strap it in. Because, safety first!

20160215_104334_resized.jpg

Post your best photos of safety around the home brewery.

Transporting a 20# CO2 tank home. It was snowing hard that day, so I had to strap it in. Because, safety first!

Nah I just toss mine in the bed of my truck. No strap, no nada. If it makes it home in good shape I know my 2 boys cant destroy it. Baahhhhaaaaa

Just kidding! That's a good call right there. If you have (I HAVE) ever seen a pressure relief valve burst on one of those you will likely crap your pants! They shoot off like a rocket and spin and thrash everything in their path!

Cheers
Jay

Welding shop here in town tipped over a full O2 cylinder. Neck hit a steel beam that was on the floor and sheared it right off. Tank made it through the roll up door, across the county road 200 feet away and embedded in the brush pile at the town burn site... Bounced off 5 cars and left a crease down the side of my van on the way.

I am still trying to find someone who refills CO2 tanks in the Marshall, MN area... I can swap at one place but they want stupid prices ($149 for a swap!!!!!)

:off::off:

I think I was about 14 when my Step Dad had an OLD OLD OLD Co2 take we took camping/hunting/shooting/drinking and he shot it with a 7mm from like 100ft. IT WAS AMAZING! He hit the top and it went flying! I had never laughed so hard in my life! It could have killed us all! I know now it wasn't funny but it sure as hell was then!

Carry on..

Cheers
Jay

I do the same thing with my c02 tank when I get it filled. I also do that with my fermentation bucket when I brew at the lhbs.

As far as my brew day goes I'm pretty safe I suppose. I don't have a 2 tier rig so I have to lift a kettle of strike water but that's about as dangerous as it gets. I keep the propane burner on a flat level surface in the back yard. I guess I could put it on some slate or something but I haven't has any issues with keeping it on the grass.

One thing I notice in a lot of home brew photos is the absence of a fire extinguisher. I know I at least have one of the Kidde extinguishers within 20 feet of where my brew rig is, just in case.

:off::off:

I think I was about 14 when my Step Dad had an OLD OLD OLD Co2 take we took camping/hunting/shooting/drinking and he shot it with a 7mm from like 100ft. IT WAS AMAZING! He hit the top and it went flying! I had never laughed so hard in my life! It could have killed us all! I know now it wasn't funny but it sure as hell was then!

Carry on..

Cheers
Jay

I don't know, it still sounds pretty darn funny to me :D

One thing I notice in a lot of home brew photos is the absence of a fire extinguisher. I know I at least have one of the Kidde extinguishers within 20 feet of where my brew rig is, just in case.

This. A fire extinguisher is pretty smart when you're dealing with a homemade box full of electricity.

Also, get yourself some motherloving PPE! Some of the Blichmann Brewing Gloves are awesome. My brewing partner and I both have them and they are fantastic. http://www.blichmannengineering.com/products/brewing-gloves.

A few tips:

1. Don't peer down directly into a vessel that has hot/boiling liquid without venting it first. Steam burns hurt like a mother.

2. Don't wear sandals if you're prone to spilling hot liquids.

3. Lift with your legs, not your back. Team lift if at all possible.

Nah I just toss mine in the bed of my truck. No strap, no nada. If it makes it home in good shape I know my 2 boys cant destroy it. Baahhhhaaaaa

Just kidding! That's a good call right there. If you have (I HAVE) ever seen a pressure relief valve burst on one of those you will likely crap your pants! They shoot off like a rocket and spin and thrash everything in their path!

Cheers
Jay

When I first got my keg and regulator and all that I hooked it all up and the gauge for my regulator was upside down. Not knowing exactly what I was doing yet I went to what I thought was turning down the pressure and ended up cranking it up. Couple good turns and the regulator gauge was close to maxed out and the PRV sounded like a machine gun. Good to know it works and something didn't explode but my god it scared the **** out of me.

I roll GFCI cause 30Amps + 10 gallons of water in homemade pots is probably a horrid combo. Use to roll CO alarm before I switched to electric. Also keep a fire extinguisher in the garage. Like OP I also strap in propane and co2 when transporting. Nice thick rubber gloves also help prevent burns and stuff when cleaning, blickman ones actually fit man size hands and seem to hold up well.

Not brewing, technically, but pasteurizing a batch of cider:

Hat, faceshield, full length jacket, long pants, boots, rubber apron, silicone gloves...

Nothing makes me feel safe like taking pressurized glass grenades and heating them to near-boiling...

13012851_10156726087975456_2868820450969589218_n_zps3juokwxe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

When transporting a CO2 tank or propane tank in a car, I recommend having a window open or cracked if possible. Would hate to pick up a CO2 tank and find out there's a leak with the windows up the hard way.

Welding shop here in town tipped over a full O2 cylinder. Neck hit a steel beam that was on the floor and sheared it right off. Tank made it through the roll up door, across the county road 200 feet away and embedded in the brush pile at the town burn site... Bounced off 5 cars and left a crease down the side of my van on the way.

I am still trying to find someone who refills CO2 tanks in the Marshall, MN area... I can swap at one place but they want stupid prices ($149 for a swap!!!!!)

WTF!!!!! Its like...$25 bucks here. $149 would be getting a whole new can.

Goggles every and any time I do anything with anything that can theoretically splash or squirt, especially caustic washing solutions. Had an underwater eye injury some 5 years ago, had to suspend diving for 3 years due to complications. That was no fun at all, so I'm not risking eyes in any way any more, period.

I warmed the mash inside the garage with the door closed but for the boil I moved the propane and everything outside.

Latest posts

Back