what kit to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete2601

Reaction score
I am new to brewing i am used to drinking bud light type beer i am not into trying different beers yet. Can you please point me onto the right directions as far as which kits might suit me best?

A few places have Canadian Ale or Canadian Blond kits (Cooper's is one). That's somewhat of a light lager type brew, easier to brew than a true bud light clone.

I'm not sure if you plan is to buy locally, order from Canada, or order from the States.

first i want to try to make a beer that there is less risk of not liking.once i have done that then i want to try different types.

first i want to try to make a beer that there is less risk of not liking.once i have done that then i want to try different types.

The trouble with that approach is that American light adjunct lagers (like Bud Lite) are actually quite technical and generally require some advanced equipment. A cream ale or a blonde ale (which every homebrew shop on the net will sell you) might be the closest thing, but if you go in expecting something like you are used to I suspect you'll be pretty disappointed.

I think your best bet is to go out and buy a few different styles of beer. Go to a shop that let's you buy singles and pick up 12 different styles to see what you like. Make sure you're actually buying different styles of beer, rather than just 12 brands of the same thing. If you know a little bit about the diversity out there, I think you'll have better luck doing something you enjoy.

A few places have Canadian Ale or Canadian Blond kits (Cooper's is one). That's somewhat of a light lager type brew, easier to brew than a true bud light clone.

I'm not sure if you plan is to buy locally, order from Canada, or order from the States.

Canadian Blond kits from Cooper's is my next Brew.

I pickup the kit from a store in Hamilton for $16.50 + $3.25 for the Sugar.
I didn't pay any taxes:ban::ban::ban::ban:
Store is called Complete home brewing supplies.

Deltac:)

Or you could go with an American hefe...its fairly bland so it might be a good "gateway beer" to more flavor.

MalFet said:
The trouble with that approach is that American light adjunct lagers (like Bud Lite) are actually quite technical and generally require some advanced equipment. A cream ale or a blonde ale (which every homebrew shop on the net will sell you) might be the closest thing, but if you go in expecting something like you are used to I suspect you'll be pretty disappointed.

I think your best bet is to go out and buy a few different styles of beer. Go to a shop that let's you buy singles and pick up 12 different styles to see what you like. Make sure you're actually buying different styles of beer, rather than just 12 brands of the same thing. If you know a little bit about the diversity out there, I think you'll have better luck doing something you enjoy.

+1. Go try some different beers first. Flavorful beer may take some getting used to

Canadian Blond kits from Cooper's is my next Brew.

I pickup the kit from a store in Hamilton for $16.50 + $3.25 for the Sugar.
I didn't pay any taxes:ban::ban::ban::ban:
Store is called Complete home brewing supplies.

Deltac:)

Find a store that sells malt extract in bulk and use 1 Kg of it instead of the sugar. You'll thank me in one month...:)

Or you could go with an American hefe...its fairly bland so it might be a good "gateway beer" to more flavor.

Wow that was my gateway beer. Sierra nevadas hefeweizen to be exact.Since then ive had a new differnet beer to try almost daily as a matterof fact im tryin tommynockers maple nut brown and its pretty decent although i think i like my vanillamaple porter better,ha.
As far as the OP, i would reccomend a wheat beer or hefeweizen mild ale or blonde ale, i would also suggest trying new beers to see what you like and dont assume something like a porter sucks in general when you havent tryed more of them. I made the mistake of sterotyping a stlyle of beer because i only tried one brand of porter.And ive finally found a few i like.Same with pale ales it took me more than a few differnt beers to find one i like and i would have to say i like Left Hand Brewerys pale ale alot as an example.:mug:

jonmohno said:
Wow that was my gateway beer. Sierra nevadas hefeweizen to be exact.Since then ive had a new differnet beer to try almost daily as a matterof fact im tryin tommynockers maple nut brown and its pretty decent although i think i like my vanillamaple porter better,ha.

I love me some Tommy knockers. Too bad they don't sell em in Utah.

As far as the OP, i would reccomend a wheat beer or hefeweizen mild ale or blonde ale, i would also suggest trying new beers to see what you like and dont assume something like a porter sucks in general when you havent tryed more of them. I made the mistake of sterotyping a stlyle of beer because i only tried one brand of porter.And ive finally found a few i like.Same with pale ales it took me more than a few differnt beers to find one i like and i would have to say i like Left Hand Brewerys pale ale alot as an example.:mug:

For me it was Pyramid hefe then Alaskan amber...Now I can't stand American wheat beers, so bland and boring. I'm a big fan of the Left Hand ESB. I think beer is an aquired taste hence the need for the "gateway" beer. Doing beer tastings and beer pairings with someone who knows what they are doing will really help expand ones appreciation for the flavors, once that appreciation sets in its all down hill...and much more expensive :)

Home brewing is a great hobby and means different things to different people. Some do it to get a flavor of beer that they enjoy but cannot really find commercially. Others do it for the cost. Cost for beers like Bud/Miller/Coors is already pretty low in comparison to microbrews. Finally, and probably true with 100% of the people on here, is the overall satisfaction of being able to craft their own beer.

Bud/Miller/Coors is a Lager, and is a little more difficult to make. Ales are easier and more forgiving.

The beer world has so many fantastic types of beer out there.

Back