What kind of wheat for Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNW

Reaction score
I am looking at the Briess listing at LD Carlson (the supplier of our LHBS) and see #1936 Wheat and #1939 White Wheat. Which would be the appropriate one for a Bavarian Hefe?

TIA,

white wheat is better imo, but to make a good german hefeweizen, you need to use better mailt then briess weyermann or best malz come to mind.

Since when is Briess a poor quality malt? I've used Briess for years and never noticed any drop in quality with my beers.

Thanks for your replies. I think I will try the White Wheat.

Breiss has always been a lower grade malt product as far back as I can remember. Canadian malting group has better base malts IMHO

It just needs to be malted wheat, but if you are going for the most traditional hefeweizen possible I would use a German maltster.

I think the key is OPINION. I don't think I'm going out on a limb when I say many brewers here have great success with their breiss malts for wheat beers.

Back