What kind of sugar do you use for fermentation? :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Organic cane sugar bought in 4lb bags from BJ's. Pretty decent price. Sometimes honey or brown sugar depending on the style, but cane sugar in most APA, IPA, Saisons to help dry them out a bit.

Turbinado. But i have used regular sugar and it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Turbinado. Gives it a nice flavor and it's not very processed. My wheat beers are better with it added at start of fermentation.

Turbinado. Gives it a nice flavor and it's not very processed. My wheat beers are better with it added at start of fermentation.

You add it after the boil or at flame out and does it dry a beer out like cane sugar does?

i've used brown sugar before and disliked the flavour. i hear turbinado is made through a different process, so works out better.

otherwise i've used a whole lot of cane sugar, both inverted and not

I make Inverted sugar (google it, some contraversy) and I have made belgian candi sugar, medium or dark.

I have used brown and table sugar before.

I really like the homemade candi sugar.

I put a ton of it in one brew and it turned out fantastic.

Brown sugar is white sugar to which molasses is added, so it has lots of molasses flavor.

Piloncillo is an unrefined Mexican sugar that is made by boiling and evaporating cane juice. The flavor is somewhere between honey and molasses.

I've used table sugar, beet sugar (avail. from Williams Brewing) and D-180 Candi Syrup (in a Westy 8 clone attempt). Use corn sugar for priming, or sometimes table sugar.

Brewed a Belgian ale this morning. Used a pound of dememera sugar in the brew. Never used it before and read about it in the latest issue of BYO and in Gordon Strong's book.

My girlfriend makes a syrup using beet sugar for all of my Belgian-Style beers. Other than that, I don't use sugar until bottling. For that I use corn sugar.

You add it after the boil or at flame out and does it dry a beer out like cane sugar does?

I boil water in a smaller pot while the wort cools. I add the cooled sugar after pitching, or just after the krausen begins to fall. Just depends on the beer.

For my current wheat beer, I added one pound to like 2 cups of boiling water, at flame out. I don't want to boil the flavor away, just to melt it all together. I find if it's too sticky and thick, it just falls to the bottom, so I make mine a bit more diluted than most recipes called for. Mixes up a lot easier so my yeasties can get to it.

Back