What kind of handgun to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been thinking about picking up a new (used) handgun. I already own a replica New Model Army and an 1851 Navy built from kit. Not really a "handgun", but fun to build and shoot.

I also own my dad's Ruger Super Blackhawk .22/.22 MAG with like a 10" barrel.

What I'm looking for is something bigger then .22 that I can take to the range and fire off a bunch of rounds with and not spend a fortune doing it. Not looking to get a revolver. I know next to nothing about handguns. I know I don't want to spend much, but don't want junk either.

Can anyone suggest a good model that could be had used that would be expected to perform well and wouldn't cost a lot to shoot? (having shot a .44 Mag when I was a kid, I probably don't want to spend what rounds cost for one of those in today's prices).

I would honestly recommend going to a range that has lots of guns available to shoot. The best answer to this question is to find the gun that fits best in your hand. You may be able to answer that at a gun store, but just holding them isn't the same.

I'd look for 9mm, as it's usually ~$1-2/box cheaper than .40S&W; and is widely available both for ammo and for gun styles.

Springfield xD's are solid guns, in my opinion...

Mostly I want to stay away from any brands or models that are considered junk. Either are unsafe, aren't durable, or won't shoot straight.

9mm would be ok if it's an inexpensive round.

There is a gun shop in town and they carry a small selection of used and new guns. I wonder if they would let me take a few to the range and shoot them. I am friends with the owner, actually. Shooting them to compare the fit and feel might be the best suggestion.

The 1911 is a classic, but I've never shot one. Isn't that a .45? Sounds kind of heavy. I think I got to play with one when I was a kid. A neighbor near my grandma made it unusable and we got to play with it. I think he was a cop or in the army. Of course we were much smaller, but it seemed huge to us.

I would recommend finding a range where you can rent guns and fire a few before I buy. I generally like to shoot (that type) something before I buy it.

9mm will be the cheapest to shoot 45 the most expensive.

It really depends on what you want to do. If it's punching paper at a range and cost is the major factor them go with a 9mm and a cheaper pistol of which there are a ton. Definately go to a range and rent some to get a feel for what you like.

If you want a home defense or concealed/carry weapon, this is a different story in which reliability, ease of use, etc. come into play.

Yeah I agree with going 9mm. Cheapest and most readily available round. The recoil is also not as heavy so it is really fun to shoot and accurate rapid fire is a bit easier than with .357 or .45. For the money, it's hard to beat a glock but if you want to spend a bit more Sig Sauers are beautiful guns. If you want something more classic and don't mind spending more on ammo, then a 1911 is the way to go. I wouldn't rule out a revolver either, a Smith and Wesson 686 will shoot both .357 and .380 ammo which is really cool. Be careful though, shooting and doing research on it can take time away from brewing;)

It really depends on what you want to do. If it's punching paper at a range and cost is the major factor them go with a 9mm and a cheaper pistol of which there are a ton. Definately go to a range and rent some to get a feel for what you like.

If you want a home defense or concealed/carry weapon, this is a different story in which reliability, ease of use, etc. come into play.

Mostly this is a take to the range sometimes and fill paper with holes. Not really concerned about home security where I live, and honestly, I could not imagine being able to keep any gun at the ready in case of break-in, AND keep it safe from casual interest from kids/others.

I'm also thinking about taking a CCW course, and what I have for handguns would be a joke to conceal. (except for the derringer-style gun that is extremely unsafe and only useful for looking at.)

Yeah I agree with going 9mm. Cheapest and most readily available round. The recoil is also not as heavy so it is really fun to shoot and accurate rapid fire is a bit easier than with .357 or .45. For the money, it's hard to beat a glock but if you want to spend a bit more Sig Sauers are beautiful guns. If you want something more classic and don't mind spending more on ammo, then a 1911 is the way to go. I wouldn't rule out a revolver either, a Smith and Wesson 686 will shoot both .357 and .380 ammo which is really cool. Be careful though, shooting and doing research on it can take time away from brewing;)

You mean .38 special? :confused:

Sounds like 9mm is really what I'm after. Versatile and inexpensive.

I'll have to see what they have in inventory downtown and see if they will take me to the range to try them (after I turn in my gun club application).

I thought the 1911 was only .45, but I see they also have 9mm.

And I'm not worried about not having time to brew. I just want an inexpensive, yet fun to shoot handgun that I can play with once in a while. The ones I have are interesting, and the Ruger is ok for hunting, but frankly, the single-action is not fun at the range.

If I get a 9mm, do I have to listen to gansta rap??

Sounds like 9mm is really what I'm after. Versatile and inexpensive.

I'll have to see what they have in inventory downtown and see if they will take me to the range to try them (after I turn in my gun club application).

I thought the 1911 was only .45, but I see they also have 9mm.

And I'm not worried about not having time to brew. I just want an inexpensive, yet fun to shoot handgun that I can play with once in a while. The ones I have are interesting, and the Ruger is ok for hunting, but frankly, the single-action is not fun at the range.

If I get a 9mm, do I have to listen to gansta rap??

I have a 9mm and listen to The Grateful Dead. no gangsta rap, ever.

And yes, I am a hippie ish Californian that likes firearms.

9mm is the way to go. How much are you looking to spend?

If your looking new, the best bang for the buck I've found is the Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm. Can be found new for around $350.00 (or less with a mail in rebate). Closely resembles the Glock as you can see in the pic below.

MVC-025F.jpg

The 1911 is a classic, but I've never shot one. Isn't that a .45? Sounds kind of heavy. I think I got to play with one when I was a kid. A neighbor near my grandma made it unusable and we got to play with it. I think he was a cop or in the army. Of course we were much smaller, but it seemed huge to us.

Yes it is. It's also the pinnacle of reliability and customization. Does your shop have an accompanying range to test?

They are affiliated with the local gun club in some way. I picked up the application to the gun club there and found out that I can get the combination to the gate and go shoot whenever I want as long as it's within ordinance times and they aren't hosting an event.

So I think they might be willing to drive over and let me shoot a few rounds if it means making a sale. Seems they were pushing a brand I never heard of before. Kind of a low cost brand, but I know their were some very cheap guns they wouldn't sell too.

If your in the market for a 9mm, might I suggest a Glock 26? It's a really great gun. If you have your license to carry its really easy to carry concealed. I have no complaints what so ever, I've never had any issues from day one. Yeah it's ugly but it's reliable, and that what counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only if it's a glock. It's in the disclaimer when you register!

I know your just kidding but it brings to mind why the criminal element tend to gravitate towards Glock. They are really that great. They will eat any ammo you put in them they will not snag on your clothes due to the close spec's, and they dont have a safety to forget about or fumble with when you need it.
Glock pistols are designed to use all the magizines from 10 rounds all the way to 33. If you want a no BS gun Glock is the way to go IMO.

I have a Springfield XD9, and I love it. Has the grip safety like a 1911 which I really like. I was choosing between the XD9 and the glock 19, and I'm very happy with my purchase. The XD9 has shot every 9mm round I've fed it. If you are a non-CA resident (which it looks like you are), I'd look at the Springfield XDM 9mm as well. It'll hold 19+1 rounds :)

I liked the Smith and Wesson MP9, but I had a few jams when renting that gun at a range.

Glock 19 was an easy choice for me. The 26 felt a little too small with my pink not making the grip. Of course if you want to conceal, it is perfect.

CCI blazer rounds are about 9 bucks per 50.

I have played with a 1911 but its more a novelty to shoot rather than something you would put 200 rounds through at the range.

For general shooting, you can't go wrong with a quality glock. I can't suggest a model though since they aren't my thing.

For a quality pistol that is fun to shoot, easy to maintain, and is good for home defense -- try a xD from Springfield. My favorite is the .45 ACP -- more expensive for target practice but packs a punch. They make other calibers if it's too much for that you want.

Unless your plan is to carry the gun concealed, which it sounds like is not the plan. Something like a Glock 26 or even a 19 is not the way to go. A smaller gun equals more muzzle flip which is not so fun and makes follow up shots more difficult. Also a longer site radius, i.e. - the distance between the sites, makes for a more accurate pistol. A glock 17 is the original glock and is the full size model. The glock 19 is the mid size model and is a nice gun but again, if you're not going to carry it concealed, then all you are getting is a shorter barrel, slightly more muzzle flip, and as a result, a less accurate gun. I really like the glock 17, easy to disassemble and maintain, easy to shoot, will take any ammo, and is damn reliable. Only thing I don't like is that the safety trigger is a little uncomfortable after a while.

HK P2000 SK 40. There is no equal to an HK.

I agree, well, I actually like the sigs better, but you can buy 2 glocks, or a glock and a shotgun, or a glock and enough brewing ingredients for a year or more for the price of just one HK.

If you're going CCW, Kahr makes very nice 9mm double action only (DAO) single stack (read slim/thin for concealment) handguns.

The Springfield EMP is a 1911-"style" designed around the 9mm round that's very nice for carrying.

9mm is leaps and bounds cheaper than .380...every time I look at .380, it's more than .45 ACP.

I love 1911s, just an absolute classic firearm.

My department took the Kahr K9 off the list of approved off-duty firearms. apparently there are documented issues with it experiencing stovepipes or some other type of jam.

My department took the Kahr K9 off the list of approved off-duty firearms. apparently there are documented issues with it experiencing stovepipes or some other type of jam.

I have a Kahr PM9 and I can't get it to fail. I prefer one of two .45s, but they're not always an option. I could probably get that thing in my tuckable IWB holster under my service uniform and keep it concealed.

I just bought my first and last Kahr back in June. It was the P380 and was trouble from the first shot. I put the required 200 rounds + through it and sent it back to Kahr. Premature slide lock backs, Slide not locking back after the last shot fired, failures to feed, light primer strikes, ejected brass in my face instead of my neighbors at the range. :mad:

Kahr has been very honorable as far as trying to remedy the situation. Kahr needed to replace the frame on mine . It's common among the P380s from what I'm finding. I hear the rest of the Kahr line also has some of the same issues... We'll see how the next 200 go's, If its not up to par I'm returning it.

On the positive side I will say that the P380 has an excellent trigger and is very, very accurate WHEN IT WORKS!

9mm would suit you well for your intended use. The modern plastic pistols are hard to beat for reliability and value. I'd recommend going to a gun store and take a look at a Glock, Ruger Sp9, Smith & Wesson M&P, Springfield XD and go with the one that feels best in hand.

Homercidal said:
The 1911 is a classic, but I've never shot one. Isn't that a .45? Sounds kind of heavy.

My 1911 weighs about a pound and a half, is super accurate, fun and cheap(relatively, I pay $40 for 100 rounds). Highly recommend it. And at 6.25 inches long, it fits comfortably inside my back pocket with a longer shirt for the win. ;)

ForumRunner_20110923_175305.jpg

fifelee said:
Not really inexpensive, but in my opinion nothing beats a SIG for fit, feel, and quality.

You've never shot a Wilson Combat or Les Baer...

I like SIGs, but they're still a mass production gun.

bottlebomber said:
My 1911 weighs about a pound and a half, is super accurate, fun and cheap(relatively, I pay $40 for 100 rounds). Highly recommend it. And at 6.25 inches long, it fits comfortably inside my back pocket with a longer shirt for the win. ;)

I'll never let my Dan Wesson Pointman 7 go. It's awesome and it was a gift from my wife.

Back