What kind and size cooler....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiriusBock

Reaction score
...would be best for and result of 10 gallons. Has anyone compared whether a round cooler or a rectangular cooler is best, and if so what size cooler. Obviously this is for a mash tun.

Thanks!

I use a rectangular cooler and get good results when batch sparging because of the way my manifold is set up.

I think that with a circular cooler you will get a thicker grain bed.

I use a 10 gal circular cooler with a false bottom as my mash tun. 10 gallon batches for these coolers is pushing it and they restrict the amount grain you can use, so you can't do 10 gallon high SG beers. According to green bay rackers, I can only fit 25 lbs of grain in my mash tun if I'm using a 1.25 gt/lb grist ratio. If you plan on doing high gravity 10 gal batches, I would almost recommend using an insulated keggle.

Bobby_m came up with a great table showing size comparisons...on my phone, or i would link it for you..search 'what size cooler', bet it comes up (hell, might be a sticky!)

heferly said:
Bobby_m came up with a great table showing size comparisons...on my phone, or i would link it for you..search 'what size cooler', bet it comes up (hell, might be a sticky!)

Yep, check equipment/sanitation sticky

Latest posts

Back