Cooler Mash Tun - Mega Size, what size manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude76

Reaction score
I got one of those large colman white coolers they use on charter fishing boats. It's a big boy.

I normally make my cooler manifolds out of 1/2" CPVC.

Anyone make manifolds from 3/4" size???

My tun is 120qt, I used 1/2” and have never had an issue. Slots are 3/8” apart if I remember correctly. I used my portable band saw and worked great. First one was copper and moved to thin wall stainless. Added a Wilser bag and have moved to FVBIAB. Works awesome and cleanup is a breeze. 👍🏼

My tun is 120qt, I used 1/2” and have never had an issue. Slots are 3/8” apart if I remember correctly. I used my portable band saw and worked great. First one was copper and moved to thin wall stainless. Added a Wilser bag and have moved to FVBIAB. Works awesome and cleanup is a breeze. 👍🏼
Same setup except I went with 3/4" cpvc with a bunch of holes on the bottom side then a Wilser bag on top. Love it. I'm assuming I went with 3/4" because of increased rigidity. Also doing full volume single infusion mashing draining directly into the boil kettle.

IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_2579.JPG

Same setup except I went with 3/4" cpvc with a bunch of holes on the bottom side then a Wilser bag on top. Love it. I'm assuming I went with 3/4" because of increased rigidity. Also doing full volume single infusion mashing draining directly into the boil kettle.

View attachment 845227View attachment 845228

Never seen anyone use a bag before. I have been brewing for 20+years with these pvc manifold coolers.

Looks like 3/4 is the way to go for rigidity

Never seen anyone use a bag before. I have been brewing for 20+years with these pvc manifold coolers.

Looks like 3/4 is the way to go for rigidity
2 vessel brew in a bag. I only built the cpvc manifold to get even drainage under the bag, but i've heard of others only using a bag with success. Anyhow, the bag lets me get a real fine crush and the manifold allows for quick drainage when I open the valve and fill the boil kettle. It works for me.

2 vessel brew in a bag. I only built the cpvc manifold to get even drainage under the bag, but i've heard of others only using a bag with success. Anyhow, the bag lets me get a real fine crush and the manifold allows for quick drainage when I open the valve and fill the boil kettle. It works for me.
Agree 100% plus easy cleanup

Why not just use a stainless steel braid? I have one in my large cooler and regularly brew 10 gallon batches with 28 to 30 pounds of grain.

Latest posts

Back