What is your reaction to Delirium Tremens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I have never had this beer, but I believe that it is a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Does anybody else find the name of this beer extremely insensitive and tacky? I don't know if people know what delirium tremens is, but it is a condition that can happen to alcoholics that are in alcohol withdrawal. It is usually the reason that alcoholics in withdrawal die. I feel this is exploiting a very bad condition in the name of marketing. Alcoholism is a disease, and naming a beer of all things after a condition caused by alcohol is extremely insensitive, at least to me. Just my opinion

Jason

Not only have I had the beer but I've visited the Delirium Tremens Cafe in Brussels. Doesn't offend me although I find the beer to be a bit under attenuated.

It doesn't bother me and in fact it is one of my favorite brews. I don't think they are poking fun at anyone who was unfortunate enough to have the disease. It's probably more a note of the high alcohol content in the brew itself.

As Brewtopia said, I find the beer underattenuated. To me, that translates into cloyingly sweet. I'm not really a Belgian fan to begin with though, so take my opinion with a grain of salt...

edit - the name does not offend me at all as DT can be caused by several things

It is far more offensive to me that someone would abuse alcohol in such a manner to cause that severe of a withdrawl. How would you regard someone who ate 7-8 big macs or whoppers everyday for months at a time, and as a result gained so much weight that it became a medical problem? Or the two pack a day smoker who cripples themselves with emphysema?

Certainly there could be underlying mental health and/or other conditions that would compel someone to self destruction in that manner. But anyone who drinks, eats or smokes themselves into an early grave has nobody to blame but themselves. The vast majority of people in this position of people know better but convince themselves otherwise, and groups like AA where they completely dissolve the abuser of any responsibility of their actions only exacerbate the problem.

Think of the name not as making fun of or capitalizing of someones self induced misery, but as a warning against over indulgence.

That being said I think the beer is quite nice, but a bit too sweet for my tastes.

And remember kids, "everything in moderation" (including moderation).

I like the beer AND the fact that it is Politically Incorrect.

I don't care if it offends anyone if that is what they want to call it

I find it more offensive that San Fransico does not want the Navy to dock at their port.

I like the beer and thought the name was rather witty.

People who may suffer from DTs certainly wont be drinking DT.

Tenchiro said:
It is far more offensive to me that someone would abuse alcohol in such a manner to cause that severe of a withdrawl. How would you regard someone who ate 7-8 big macs or whoppers everyday for months at a time, and as a result gained so much weight that it became a medical problem? Or the two pack a day smoker who cripples themselves with emphysema?

Certainly there could be underlying mental health and/or other conditions that would compel someone to self destruction in that manner. But anyone who drinks, eats or smokes themselves into an early grave has nobody to blame but themselves. The vast majority of people in this position of people know better but convince themselves otherwise, and groups like AA where they completely dissolve the abuser of any responsibility of their actions only exacerbate the problem.

Think of the name not as making fun of or capitalizing of someones self induced misery, but as a warning against over indulgence.

That being said I think the beer is quite nice, but a bit too sweet for my tastes.

And remember kids, "everything in moderation" (including moderation).

Addiction is a disease, and just because you don't understand it or think it is real doesn't mean it's not. So do you agree with Tom Cruise that there is no such thing as postpartum depression? To me it's not being politically correct or incorrect, as it is being insensitive. I understand that if you experience DT than you did something to your body to cause that, but the reasons people have addictions are numerous. And AA doesn't completely absolve people of any responsibility, it helps them channel into another more constructive venue.

Also, the examples you give are all types of addictions, and obviously they all are doing damage to the person. My point is that people do things they shouldn't, but to use a diagnosis as a marketing scheme is crude. Just my own opinions.

niquejim said:
I like the beer AND the fact that it is Politically Incorrect.

I don't care if it offends anyone if that is what they want to call it

I find it more offensive that San Fransico does not want the Navy to dock at their port.

Well in that regards, I don't care that it offends anyone that SF won't allow the Navy to dock here...and I was in the navy. People's opinions are just that, opinions.

Jayfro21 said:
Addiction is a disease, and just because you don't understand it or think it is real doesn't mean it's not. So do you agree with Tom Cruise that there is no such thing as postpartum depression? To me it's not being politically correct or incorrect, as it is being insensitive. I understand that if you experience DT than you did something to your body to cause that, but the reasons people have addictions are numerous. And AA doesn't completely absolve people of any responsibility, it helps them channel into another more constructive venue.

Also, the examples you give are all types of addictions, and obviously they all are doing damage to the person. My point is that people do things they shouldn't, but to use a diagnosis as a marketing scheme is crude. Just my own opinions.

I am not saying it is or isn't a disease. What I am saying is that when someone chooses to drink excessive amounts of beer, they are making a choice. Now that over-consumption may lead to a disease, but the blame for it can only be layed on the individual.

Now whatever causes an individual to drink an excessive amount of beer/wine/liquor for an extended amount of time, wether it be stress, mental illness or whatever. They have a choice to seek help at any time, some do and some don't. But the fact remains that it was a choice of the individual to drink themselves into a serious medical condition.

AA does strip this personal responsibility from the individual in the first step of the program. By making people admit that "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol" it is not only insulting to the individual, but it also absolves them of any of the bad choices they made in not only the over consumption but also any of their actions while under the influence alcohol. Not to mention the fact that all AA really does it move the dependency from alcohol to the AA meetings, and does nothing ot treat the inderlying cause of what led them to excessivee drinking in the first place.

But if you look on their own website the name is a not so subtle warning about over consumption.

L'allusion à l'éléphant rose conséquence d'un delirium tremens de la veille, n'est pas un hasard. Les raisons sont multiples, tout d'abord en raison d'une bière possédant un degré d'alcool élevé, et d'autre part afin de responsabiliser le consommateur aux effets parfois dévastateur d'une consommation trop élevée d'alcool.

Which translates to "roughly";

The allusion to the pink elephant consequence of delirium tremens of the day, is no coincidence. There are many reasons, firstly because of a beer with an alcohol content higher, and on the other hand in order to empower the consumer to the sometimes devastating effects of a high consumption of alcohol.

My point being is that we coddle people that make bad choices, we help them lay the blame elsewhere. by helping them make excuses for their poor decision making skills, we are not encouraging them to learn from their mistakes.

One way to do that is to mock those that act like idiots and do stupid things. So although I really don't think they are doing so in this case, if they were it wouldn't be such a bad thing. It might just stop some people from doing stupid things that harm themselves.

Jayfro21 said:
My point is that people do things they shouldn't, but to use a diagnosis as a marketing scheme is crude. Just my own opinions.

I don't think the intention is to use a diagnosis as a marketing scheme. I think it's just a name.

Tenchiro said:
I am not saying it is or isn't a disease. What I am saying is that when someone chooses to drink excessive amounts of beer, they are making a choice. Now that over-consumption may lead to a disease, but the blame for it can only be layed on the individual.

Now whatever causes an individual to drink an excessive amount of beer/wine/liquor for an extended amount of time, wether it be stress, mental illness or whatever. They have a choice to seek help at any time, some do and some don't. But the fact remains that it was a choice of the individual to drink themselves into a serious medical condition.

AA does strip this personal responsibility from the individual in the first step of the program. By making people admit that "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol" it is not only insulting to the individual, but it also absolves them of any of the bad choices they made in not only the over consumption but also any of their actions while under the influence alcohol. Not to mention the fact that all AA really does it move the dependency from alcohol to the AA meetings, and does nothing ot treat the inderlying cause of what led them to excessivee drinking in the first place.

But if you look on their own website the name is a not so subtle warning about over consumption.

Which translates to "roughly";

My point being is that we coddle people that make bad choices, we help them lay the blame elsewhere. by helping them make excuses for their poor decision making skills, we are not encouraging them to learn from their mistakes.

One way to do that is to mock those that act like idiots and do stupid things. So although I really don't think they are doing so in this case, if they were it wouldn't be such a bad thing. It might just stop some people from doing stupid things that harm themselves.

The talk show host Neill Boortz always says where you end up in life is a result of the choices you make yourself.
It has been stated that addiction is a disease( it may well be), but if I had cancer I would seek assistance. If I had a drinking problem, I would seek assistance.

Back